T440p Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by blackspawn, Dec 21, 2013.

1. blackspawn

blackspawn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got my T440p (i7-4800MQ - 16Gb RAM - 512 Samsung 840 Pro SSD - FHD screen - 9 cell battery - Win 8.1 x64), I'l try to take some pictures later but for now I'll leave my initial reaction overall.

I'm coming from a HP Elitebook 8440p (had it for close to 4 years, probably used it +8h a day) so my reaction is probably biased towards comparing the T440p to my elitebook. Anyway here it goes:

The good
    • Personally I like the design and feel of the materials the make up the outer body. The "matte" look of the shell is awesome imo. For a business latop it's as discret as they come.
    • Considering the size and weight of the laptop, the performance/portability racio is very good (in the 14'' range), even with the 9 cell battery it's still ligther (though not by much ~2.2 Kg vs 2.3 Kg) than my elitebook.
    • Overall sturdiness, the thing just looks and feels compact and tough
    • The IPS screen is super bright, in dark rooms I have to keep it at 25-40 % to even be able to look at it without hurting my eyes, which for using the laptop outside is excellent.

The bad
    • Lighbleed. It could be my panel but you can clearly see lightbleed on startup but only if you're in a dark room, with ambient light it becomes unoticeable (at least to me). Also when you open or close the screen you can clearly notice the pressure effect on the lightbleed. Just put small pressure on the screen edges or the backplate and see the screen bleed light all over the place (doesn't take much pressure, just enough for a grip to open or close the screen).
    • The plastic of the main surface (where you actually rest your hands on) and screen edge has a different feel than the material used on the outside (backplate and on the lid), it's more rough, feels cheaper. I would very much have preffered if they the plamrest and screen edge had the feel of the outside material.
    • Maybe this is usual in Lenovo but why the hell do I have to do a key combo to hit pause/break? I understand not having a numlock key (cause hey, no numpad!) but removing pause/brealk?
    • F-keys, they are called F-keys not "Multimedia" keys or "Laptop control" keys... why oh why are the F symbols so damn small like they are a secondary function of the key? They are the primary function! By default when I hit F1 I want F1 to be registered not "Mute". Anyway you get my point right? FnLck should have been reversed and F symbols should have taken front-stage on the key
    • Why no capslock status LED? Glaring omission imo.

The ugly
    • I don't know if with other keyboard layouts is the same (I have a portugues layout) but the key symbols have a horrible layout. I'll put a picture later but for example each number key has all 3 symbols in a single row with the number in the middle. I can touch type so it's not really a big issue but it looks horrible (and makes it much harder to interpret the symbols). I like much more my elitebook layout where they put a symbol on each key corner, the number being on the lower left corner.
    • This is a minor look pet peeve but because of the slant the keys adjacent to the trackpoint have, the letter on the key immediately below the trackpoint is every so slightly moved downwards and therefore not aligned with the rest of the keys of that row. It looks weird to me, I wonder if the slant could have been smaller so the letter could be printed in the right position...
    • The whole laptop especially the keys, is very prone fingerprint "stains", in the "right" light it makes the laptop look very dirty.

Other stuff
    • I didn't mention the trackpad because I'm still getting used to it. I miss the left/right keys I had in my elitebook when using the trackpoint but I think it's a matter of time until I grow used to the new system. Only time will tell.
    • I also seen complains about the lack of wifi or HDD light. Honestly it doesn't bother me, I can see when WiFi is on or not when it matters (when the screen is on). As for the HDD light, I guess you could miss it in times where you're not really sure if something is happening (oh yeah, I/O stop-the-world process ongoing) but nowadays, with SSDs and Win 8 detail taskmanager. I can do without the HDD light
    • Another LED related matter I've seen is the charging feedback, but the dot on the i of "Thinkpad" lights up at first when charging so that's not really an issue (and again, just opening the screen for a few seconds gives you feedback on whether or not charging is happening)

In the coming days I'll try to put a mini-review with some pictures.

buckling spring likes this.
  2. fjodor

fjodor Newbie

Reputations:
    I am looking to get a similar version with the i7-4800MQ, FHD and 9-cell battery. What worries me with this version is battery life and portability-bulkiness-thickness for the t440p . I'm glad to hear performance/portability is okay.
    What kind of battery life are you getting with the 9 cell?
    Pictures would be great

3. unferth33

unferth33 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've got the 6 cell (and the rest of the stuff in my signature) and I think I can get about 5 hours of battery out of it...... (and that's from not really trying, just leaving it in the balanced profile)

Here's a shot of the thickness of it (and the ultrabay caddy)

4. Ung_Kung

Ung_Kung Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Love the machine, except the keypad which i think i will get accustom to it. Coming from VAIO Z2.

5. kordis

kordis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Some benchmarks that will be in the upcoming review of T440p on Notebookcheck.

20AN006VGE
    4700MQ
    Geforce 730M - 1024MB Forceware 312.30
    8GB of ram.

3DMark 06 - CPU: 6071
    Super Pi mod 1.5 XS 1M: 10
    Super Pi mod 1.5 XS 2M: 24
    Super Pi Mod 1.5 XS 32M: 592
    PCMark Vantage: Result 1024x768: 9382
    Cinebench R10: Rendering Single 32Bit: 4894
    Cinebench R10: Rendering Multiple CPUs 32Bit: 16501
    Cinebench R10: Rendering Multiple CPUs 64Bit: 21680
    Cinebench R10: Rendering Single CPUs 64Bit: 6394
    3DMark Vantage: P CPU no PhysX 1280x1024: 20787
    wPrime 2.0x: 32m: 8.705
    wPrime 2.0x: 1024m: 288.305
    Windows 7 Experience Index: Processor: 7.6
    Cinebench R11.5: CPU Multi 64Bit: 5.86
    Cinebench R11.5: CPU Single 64Bit: 1.51
    3DMark 11: Performance Physics 1280x720: 6732
    3DMark (2013): Ice Storm Standard Physics 1280x720: 41249
    3DMark (2013): Cloud Gate Standard Physics 1280x720: 5824
    3DMark (2013): Fire Strike Standard Physics 1920x1080: 8368

Gaming performance:
    World of Warcraft: low: 238 med.: 175 high: 47 ultra: 21
    World of Tanks v8 (2012) low: 88 med.: 37 high: 32 ultra: 15
    StarCraft 2 (2010) low: 169 med.: 64 high: 23 ultra: 17

6. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Wait, there is no native F keys on the T4x0 series? And no capslock light?

Can the former be set in the BIOS?

Thats wierd, my Y series has both of those are is far from a business laptop :confused:

Lenovo, what have you been smoking?

7. Gatto Nero

Gatto Nero Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That's a nice clean look with the Ultrabay.

8. unferth33

unferth33 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did a clean install so my current f-key lock thing might be different than people with the default setup....

It seems that if you don't have some keyboard driver installed, it defaults to F-Lock on (so my f-keys work like f-keys) if I want to change volume or whatever I have to hold the fn key as well.. I don't know what utility changes it, but it's working like I'd hoped it would :D... the only odd thing is that my f-lock light stays on.. but that's ok...

And, yes, there is no caps-lock light (I think there's an on-screen notification though, but again since I didn't install whatever utility controls that, I don't see it) :)

I wish I had a way to find how long I've been on battery....

Since the last time I was plugged in (Saturday morning) I have...

1 - Programmed and debugged through a universal remote for my parents (a mx-780 for those who are curious) that took about 1.5 hrs (maybe more)
    2 - Did some actual work (using vs.net 2013 and intellij 13 - yes.. it's a combined java and c# project) on Sunday for about 2 hours
    3 - Browsed amazon and such some on Sunday night (about 30 mins)
    4 - Been working this morning for 30 minutes so far and I'm currently at 32% remaining...

This is all with the 6 cell battery.... I think I could reasonably get 6 hours from it....

9. Babel-Babble

Babel-Babble Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Pressing Fn + Esc will switch between modes for the F-keys, which now default to the media functions. Of course, this is something I had to look up, as it's not apparent.

colinstu, katalin_2003 and Jobine like this.
  10. Gatto Nero

Gatto Nero Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    unferth33, how'd you do that?