T430s owners'/would-be owners' thread.

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by XX55XX, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surf404

surf404 Newbie

Reputations:
    If your bsod problem is anything like mine, it probably isn't caused by your ssd, since I tested it on the factory installed hdd and after market ssd and both had the same bsod 0x00000124 "Probably caused by: Processor core" problem, unless both the factory hdd and my new intel 520 ssd are defective. I did lots of tests and the problem could be caused by an intel driver in conjunction with an unstable CPU or faulty motherboard. But your case could be different then mine. I would still ask for a motherboard and CPU replacement, not just a new ssd. You can clean install windows and possibly activate with the serial at the bottom of the laptop, use "Hearst's Guide to Clean Installing Windows 7 on the ThinkPad".
    Hope everything is solved for you soon!

2. Stoic

Stoic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If the problem is a motherboard issue, couldn't you boot to a linux distro on the cd drive to test it? If it boots then it's probably the SSD, if not, then...

3. SubtleEntropy

SubtleEntropy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    All i have to say is wow.

Got a Intel 520series 240gig ssd yesterday - Got the guys at the store to remove the 2.5mm shim - they happen to have the screws to reattach the top plate - installed + system restore - system screams now... lovin it..

Anyone know how to reset the factory restore drive to allow me to make another copy.. it would be appreciated - I created the disks on dvd - figured i would make a USB stick... any ideas?

4. Scotchester

Scotchester Newbie

Reputations:
    So, I'm a few hours into setting up my new T430s and I'm loving the legendary ThinkPad build quality... when I happen to notic that the rear panel is significantly dented outward next to one of the USB ports :( It would be physically impossible for me to have caused this, so it must have left the factory that way. How does that kind of thing slip by? I think it might actually impact the usability of that USB port, so I guess I will have to exchange it.

This also led me to notice the issue of the bottom edge of the display having a rather noticeable curve (convex, relative to the outside of the lid), as reported by mirkot on post #405 of this thread.

I was (and still am) really excited to get my first ThinkPad ever, but these issues put a little bit of a damper on it :(

5. XX55XX

XX55XX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So, in terms of display quality, what do people think? I've got the Samsung LTN140KT03401 on my machine. Viewing angles are not the best, and contrast is below average compared with the TN panel I've got for my monitor for my desktop.

Anyone with an AUO or LG panel care to comment about their experiences?

6. CraigBryant

CraigBryant Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, I'm joining your ranks in a few days! I've been debating/researching/contemplating/meditating on the T430 versus the Alienware M14X R2 and the T430 won. Now if I can only find a great 14" remote panel to set up 2 displays. Don't want anything bigger as I'll be traveling extensively with my new machine.

Gawain

7. Kasseev

Kasseev Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @wditters

Good to hear it worked well for you, I was getting a bit paranoid when two other laptop models I was following discontinued Thunderbolt support.

On another note has anyone managed to upgrade the base WIFI card (Thinkpad 1x1 b/g/n) to something better successfully? I am looking at a bunch of Centrino WLAN cards on ebay less than 20 dollars and wondering if I should get one.

Does the performance difference justify buying a new card?

Thanks,

8. ThinkRob

ThinkRob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's kind of a moot point unless you get a Lenovo-branded one. ThinkPads have a BIOS whitelist that prevents non-branded cards from working.

But yes, I would recommend switching to the Intel WLAN card if 1) the current card isn't working well for you and/or 2) you ever plan on running Linux (since Intel generally does a good job with Linux drivers.)

9. Zodiacs

Zodiacs Newbie

Reputations:
    Could you tell me what brand the OEM lenovo ram was? Also, if you still have yours, would you sell it? Let me know!

10. Lamtd

Lamtd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How do you find out which model you have?

I just received my T430s a few days ago, and IMO the screen is perfectly fine for a business laptop. It is very similar to the one I have on my aging X31, except it's a lot brighter. I've definitely seen worse, on some Dell laptops for instance. It can be used outside on a sunny day without too much trouble, so that's good enough for me.

Also, one thing that was very annoying was the automatic display dimming when running on battery; you need to turn it off in the HD Graphics settings, otherwise you get terrible contrast whenever you're not looking at a page with a bright background.

Otherwise, I'm rather satisfied with the T430s so far; coming from the X31 it feels oddly large, but the 1600x900 resolution makes up for it. The key size and spacing also feels unnecessary large, though I'm getting used to it. I remember that when I switched from my 770Z to my X31, the keyboard also felt subpar, but after a while it felt really great, so I'll reserve my judgement for now. A quick typing test indicates I went from around 90wpm down to 60wpm, though, but it's hopefully only a matter of days.

Regarding the 6-rows layout... well, they're clearly favoring form over function, because it is inferior to the old layout in every way; I didn't think I used the Forward / Backward keys much, but on a couple of occasions I did hit the Pg Up key instinctively in order to go to a previous page. Being a developer, I'm really worried about how I'll adapt to the new top row, since I'm used to touch-type F5, F10, Shift+Home and Shift+End very frequently. I also find the Fn+F8/F9 combo rather inconvenient when you're trying to change the brightness in the dark, but the Fn+Space for the ThinkLight is fine.

One last thing, even though it's rather quiet, it's definitely not silent like the X31 is; I'm used to sleeping with the laptop running next to my bed (something like 50cm away), and the fan noise on idle is clearly audible. Does anyone know of an easy way to lower the CPU speed / fan speed on idle? I think it's running at around 1.2Ghz on idle, it would be nice if it could be lowered enough so that active cooling is not required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.