T430s owners'/would-be owners' thread.

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by XX55XX, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What's the price premium these days for the T430S over the T430?

2. surf404

surf404 Newbie

Reputations:
    You and I both have the same problem, with the BSOD x124 error.... I've been trying to fix this problem for more than 2 weeks and finally decided to send it to the repair depot to replace the cpu and motherboard (past the return period, hopefully it doesn't turn into a horror story). I've tested the ram, the hd; i've installed new ram and ssd drive, clean install, and still got the problems. Everything updated. It even BSOD after clean install with no software or drivers installed. So i concluded that the CPU or motherboard is at fault. And also it says it windows event viewer "Probably cause by: Processor Core" Temps are not the cause, i've ran turbo boost+ and still got the error, and i also get the same error while idle or browsing chrome and the temps then were around 45. Tested with Prime95 that tests stablitly mostly used by overclockers, but it shouldn't BSOD when not overclocked, but does within minutes.... on stress tetsting the CPU setting. Will wait to see if the repaired laptop does the same thing or not...

3. Kasseev

Kasseev Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone received a T430s with a working Thunderbolt port?

4. wditters

wditters Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine works fine. Using a Seagate Goflex Thunderbolt adapter to shuttle virtual machines back & forth between T430s and Macbook Air for a while now ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5. Kasseev

Kasseev Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok great. So many other manufacturers (Asus I am looking at you) have pretty much made the technology look like vaporware with constant shipping delays etc.

How are you finding the machine so far?

6. wditters

wditters Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I absolutely love the machine, and I am not saying that because I am a reseller. For me it strikes a perfect balance between versatility, performance and portability. I agree with the general thought that the screen quality is average, but it is more than sufficient for my purposes (travel and virtualization). The rest simply is awesome AFAIC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. DaRQsiDe

DaRQsiDe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It just works, and works great :) Especially the performance of 64-bit Photoshop and 64-bit Illustrator in CS6 is superb.

8. t430s-er

t430s-er Newbie

Reputations:
    I've just entered the horror story:

In preparation of the on-site visit of the field engineer I decided to reset the system to the factory image: 75% into the process I got the BSOD... There's no way to go back into the recovery tool (BSOD), no way of starting up Windows because the recovery crashed (BSOD). Booting a live Linux distro from CD works. The field engineer took my machine apart and made sure everything was correctly fitted, even took RAM out of a working T520 to test it in the 430s, to no avail.

Of course I didn't make install CD's/DVDs of the recovery image (yeah, I know...) and currently you cannot purchase T430s recovery images at Lenovorecovery.com

(Wanna hear another "funny" story? The field engineer - a great guy, btw - was told to bring a replacement LCD panel because when I called in I told the first-line support lady I had "blue screen" problems.. If the problem were captured correctly in the first place, a motherboard replacement would have been attempted)

The field engineer seems positive it has something to do with the SDD and will request Lenovo to provide a replacement part. But I need to SDD to be loaded with the factory image or else I'm not anyway near a stable system.

9. decrescendo

decrescendo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Has anyone here actually purchased a SSD upgrade through Lenovo when purchasing or has everyone sprung for the DIY aftermarket SSD upgrade?

10. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think you have a case for them to send you a free factory image DVD set, especially if they replace the storage drive. Worse case scenario is installing Windows 7 clean then using the drivers and software from support.lenovo.com.

I only use the factory image on the resale of a machine. I never actually use the image.