T430s owners'/would-be owners' thread.

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by XX55XX, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jibs

jibs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nope I believe it is a Crucial, I don't remember off the top of my head but I was looking at Crucial or Intel for my msata

2. jibs

jibs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm trying to plug in an old mini disc player to my T430s using a cable from the headphone jack on the mini disk player to the headphone/mic jack on the left side of my laptop. I checked my recording devices and I had the option of microphone which was picking up my talking so I assume that is a built in microphone on the laptop, or microphone 2 which said it was located on the left side of the laptop which I assume is the headphone/mic port. I tried setting microphone 2 as the default input but it wouldn't let me, even after disabling the internal mic. I checked the Lenovo site and noticed that I did not have the Realtek Audio drivers installed, so I did that and now the only recording option I have in the list is the internal microphone.

Can someone please let me know what I'm doing wrong with this, I've done plenty of work with audio devices on my desktop but this is the first time I've tried to make sense of the combo port on my laptop.

Thanks

3. systemBuilder

systemBuilder Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My employer gave me a T430s, with NVidia Quadro 600 graphics, i5 processor, 180 GB SSD, the 1600x900 display, and an ultrabay battery. The display seems to be identical to the 1600x900 used on the old T420 I had from my previous employer. Viewing angles left-right are excellent, tilt back is ok, tilt forward viewing angle is horrible (colors wash out immediately and then become silhouetted).

I am a big fan of the old T42 thinkpads from the golden age of thinkpads, and we have many of those at my home.

This new T430s seems to be a close imitation of the old T40-T43 systems. The thickness is almost exactly identical. The downsides are (a) The keyboard is too slippery and as a result I mistype passwords all the time, (b) An 85 square inch 1600x900 screen in 14" just sucks, it's the 85 square inches that sucks (the T42 had a 101 square inch 4:3 1400x1050 display). The rough trackpad isn't as good as the old smooth trackpad, and I don't use the multi-touch very much (it doesn't seem to work with Ubuntu, either.)

The upside is the brightness of the LED backlight and the 6-7 hours of real-life battery life that I can achieve with the ultrabay battery, which is better than the old thinkpads because there isn't a bulky and heavy 9-cell battery sticking out the back of this laptop.

4. brucebaur

brucebaur Newbie

Reputations:
    I am having an issue where the laptop does not respond with the charger. It will not charge the laptop, nor will the charging lights come on. Once the new battery has drained, the laptop dies. The laptop will not work by plugging in the adapter and taking out the battery. SO, it does not seem that the laptop circuit is working. I tested and the adapter plug is putting out 20v dc. Any thoughts on my T430 issue?

5. jlacroix

jlacroix Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys. I recently purchased a sealed T430s on eBay. I love the machine a lot. But I have a question about the warranty.

My machine has "IBM EZ Serv" service until 2016. But the warranty page doesn't specify if this is next business day on-site. I assume it isn't though.

I was looking through the options to upgrade the warranty, and was interested in accidental coverage with next business day service like I used to get on my Dells back when I used them. While I do see an option to upgrade to "3YR Accidental Damage Protection + Keep Your Drive" it doesn't say anything about next business day. Is next business day implied?

I'm accustomed to Dell's "Complete Care" with next business day service, that's what I use to get when I used to use Latitudes.

Thanks!

6. Slimpickens

Slimpickens Newbie

Reputations:
    Greetings. First post for me. The problem with my T430: I press the power button and ONE TIME ONLY the power button flickers and the screen flickers. No fans or hard drive action. Solutions run the gamut from "Press the power button 10 times..." through "Get a new battery" to "Throw it away". Is the problem really a blown motherboard so go to solution #3? Any meaningful help/observations are welcome. I know that this is an old problem but it's new to me. Peace out.

7. pvhunt

pvhunt Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I'm looking at the posibility to pickup a new T430s from a local store. However, I was wondering if there is a way to identify if the machine is a refurbished or a brandnew one. I'm afraid that I may buy a ref laptop at retail price. The retailer is not an authorized retailer for lenovo. The authorized ones does not have a machine that meet my requirements for spec.
    The one that I'm going to buy is a 2353ABU unit, and the serial number starts with RYY...

Thanks for enlightment me in this matter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.