1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

T430 Wifi Defective

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by changt34x, Aug 17, 2012.

1. changt34x

changt34x Notebook Consultant

Hi guys,

I got my first Thinkpad two days ago, a T430 with the Intel Ultimate-N 6300. When returning from sleep, the wifi card will not be recognized. Windows shows no wireless connections available and device manager does not even list the card.

After troubleshooting, I have found that this only occurs when AC is plugged in. I cannot replicate it on battery. Disabling wifi power management, device sleep, and pcie power savings has no impact. In addition, using HWInfo, I found that the entire pcie system bus that the wifi card is connect to disappears after returning from sleep. Has anyone ever had a similar issue?

I have contacted support and they are issuing an exchange; if someone could give me some insight on the process that would also be great. Previously, I had a Latitude E6410 that had a defective NVS 3100m. I called the day I received it (11PM at night) and they overnighted me a new system that I got the next day. If I understand correctly, Lenovo wants 5 business days to just process the request, then they build it and ship it, potentially taking weeks of time. I leave for college in 4 days...I'm going to guess already it won't be available before then.

If it matters, I have the i7, Optimus, and Bluetooth on this system. Also, one last note: there is a horridly strong plastic smell from the computer. Its not a burning plastic smell but sort of a "new" smell, but it is so strong it fills the hallway of my house and doesn't seem to be subsiding. I have searched both of these problems and haven't found much clear information, so thanks in advance!

2. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon Super Moderator

Have you tried uninstalling the WiFi driver via Device Manager and then installing the driver direct from Intel for the 6300 (install driver-only, without the other Intel software)? I'm hesitant to say this is a hardware issue, as it works fine for you on battery.

The plastic smell is normal for many new computers, and definitely is present on new Thinkpads. Personally I don't mind it at all (it's like a new car smell, in a way), but it'll mostly dissipate within a week or so. You can speed that up by placing the laptop in a well-ventilated area.

3. changt34x

Thanks for your response. I have uninstalling the driver and using only the intel driver, but it hasn't made a difference. Also, I did a factory restore and put the computer to sleep during the select wireless network page in Win 7 OOBE and it replicated the same thing. I'm thinking it might not be a wifi card issue now but a PCIe bus issue as the entire interface disappears...but I have never heard of anything similar happening before.

Thats good to know, I was just wondering as none of my other systems have ever had such a strong smell.

4. fishblue

fishblue Notebook Enthusiast

I have been having the exact same wifi issue (I have the 6300). Reinstalling the intel driver seemed to work for a while, but now it is back to not recognizing the wifi card after resuming from sleep. And when it does see the card, it fails to automatically connect to my network, even though I checked the remember and automatically connect to this network option. Any advice/help?

Thanks!

5. changt34x

So it may be I am not the only one with the problem. In your situation, can you replicate the problem on both AC and battery? Otherwise I think the only other option is to try to disable power saving on the wifi card and allowing the wifi card to sleep in device manager, but those have not worked for me.

Do you happen to have another intel wireless card (non-6300)? I will trying putting my 6200 from my Dell in it, but I'm not sure it will work as it may not have the Lenovo FRU. There have been problems reported about the 6300 on other systems (especially W520) so I would not really be surprised if its a 6300 only problem.

6. fishblue

I mostly use the battery, but I think the problem occurred once or twice on AC last week. I have tried enabling and disabling power savings to the wifi card and under both situations it becomes problematic. I don't have any other wifi cards.

7. changt34x

So the 6200 didn't work, and the PCI bus still disappears after removing the wifi card and going to sleep. I also tried a clean Windows install with drivers only and no Lenovo software, same problem. I think its a hardware issue, but not sure how widespread and how long replacement will take.

8. fishblue

What about placing the wifi card in the open slot? (I think it's the msata slot, and I don't have an msata drive.) Is it an issue with the combination of parts we chose? It seems like we have similar configurations with the i7, optimus, bluetooth, and 6300. Do you know if anyone has tried support/warranty?

9. Autumn Corvus

Autumn Corvus Newbie

I have this problem as well on my new system, the wireless interface disappears entirely. But it's always fine after a reboot. I can't imagine this is a hardware issue given that it only happens under those precise circumstances. I'm going to install Windows 8 soon, I'll let you know if they problem occurs there as well. I'll try the latest stable Ubuntu as well.

10. changt34x

I should be getting a warranty replacement in about 2 weeks, so I will see how that goes when it happens. I'll try moving the into the open slot too and see if that works. Hardware support was useless and software support couldn't help since the problem happened the second I took it out of the box, but you should try anyway just to get a replacement order in place (they only give replacements if you find the problem after a few days, otherwise you have to go depot repair which is worse).

Autumn Corvus: Testing on Win 8 and Ubuntu seems like a great idea, please let us know how it goes. I will probably also try Win 8 too and see how it works. On mine, somehow I can't get the interface to even come back with a "restart" in Windows. I have to do shutdown and then power back up for it to reappear.

11. changt34x

Problem reproduced in Windows 8 Pro x64 RTM, though it took like 8 tries to get it.

It doesn't seem like anyone in the owners thread has this problem even though plenty of them have the 6300.

12. fishblue

Are you getting a new logicboard or a new wifi card? If the whole bus disappears after system resume, I would think it's a problem with the logicboard, but I am not sure. However, since it works after a shut down and power up, I am thinking its a software issue, possibly the bios?

13. tgalal

tgalal Notebook Enthusiast

HI,

I've got the same exact issue. I7, Intel Ultimate-N 6300, bluetooth, Intel HD Graphics 4000. Wireless card completely disappears after about one hour of usage, AC plugged in (not tested on battery only though). Once the card disappears, it's gone regardless of whatever drivers or OS loaded. Tested on Windows 7, and Wifi didn't show up at all on Linux as well. Rebooting, shutting, down, removing batter, all do not solve the problem. Did a factory restore and updated the bios, still no use. Only after a while of being inactive (maybe an hour with the laptop on sleep/switched off or something), it goes back to work as if everything ok. And then repeats the problem again after a while.

This seems like a global defect in T430 models. I sent mine to a lenovo service point and should get a call within the next 2 days, hopefully!

14. changt34x

I should be getting a completely new system built from the factory, so all the parts will be new.

So it seems to have something to do with i7, 6300, and bluetooth as i'm guessing we all have that in common. BIOS updated here to with no change. I'm still wondering how the machine has been out for ~2 months and so far only about 4 reports of the issue, i hope its not a global issue.

15. fishblue

Do you know if we can keep our current systems until we receive a new system, as in your case changt34x?

16. changt34x

You should be able to keep the system until the new one arrives. I'm not totally sure about how their exchange works (definitely much slower than Dell's SMB) but I think they ship you a label for return with the new system so you return it then.

17. tgalal

tgalal Notebook Enthusiast

Well mine was completely new from the factory.. This is very frustrating!

18. fishblue

Mine was also completely new, and it is impossible to find the scope of the problem because not everyone is on these forums- but my guess is that there are more people with this problem. It's just so strange that the wifi works fine after a reboot, but then stops after a resume from sleep, which really makes me think this is a software/bios issue or a compatibility issue with some configurations.

19. iostcat

iostcat Notebook Enthusiast

I got my T430 last week and I am having the exact same problem the the Intel 6300.
    If I put it to sleep for an extend period of time, the wifi will be missing from device manager upon awaking.
    Reboot will not bring it back, the only way is to do a complete shutdown and reboot.

20. fishblue

Strangely, checking "allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" actually seems to fix the problem, at least for now. This makes me certain that it's not a hardware issue, unless there are poor solder joints which could be a problem.