T430 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by pchome, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ^^^ Same terrible quality.

But, why should you care? You always have a large, presumably better display whenever you sit at a desk. (Dell sells 23" and 24" IPS panels at reasonable prices, sometimes with generous discounts.)

Alternatively, there's the T530 with FHD.

2. XX55XX

XX55XX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And the X230 with IPS.

3. pchome

pchome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I agree and I actually have a 26" HDTV monitor but it is also not nice to buy a brand new laptop and even pay to upgrade the display to HD+ then end up with terrible quality. Why would Lenovo not offer the FHD or IPS on this model?

The reason I did not get the T530 or W530 this time is that I try to avid the throttling on battery issue (I am not sure if it still happens with the W530 or I it was initially happening on the T520) since they have discrete graphics that is power consuming. I may be wrong on my theory but my experience and lenovo's statement is that dGPU is the major cause of battery throttling and I cannot lie with that anymore as my experience with W520 was terrible because of that.

4. pchome

pchome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I really wanted to get the X230 but my concern is about the low resolution and the very small bothering palm rest area

5. brinox

brinox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i got the T430 to replace my T420 mostly because im a who couldn't wait for something better last summer. With my Dell(s) I had integrated graphics and a desktop to do my gaming on and a backlit keyboard. After seeing the crazy decent NVS 5400m (and my desktop gaming situation changing a bunch) AND the backlit keyboard on the T430, i called the ball.

it was either going to be replacing the T420 system board for one with the NVS 4200m (and buying the appropriate replacement heatsink) for ~$500 or buy a new T430 with the backlit keyboard, even better graphics and sell the T420.

(I obviously chose the T430)

In other news - i chatted with Lenovo sales this morning, and the guy said my order had already been released to manufacturing :O

6. TASL

TASL Newbie

Reputations:
    ^^I'm coming from the x220 (same IPS display, palmrest length). I found editing documents side by side and researching on LexisNexis or WestLaw cumbersome on the resolution. For the palmrest, I have large hands and found the palmrest an issue - especially when I was forced to use the touchpad/trackpoint (my right wrist would eventually start to cramp). For these reasons, when I was given the option to upgrade to a x230 or T430 - I picked the T430

Question regarding specs, is it only the T430S that gets Thunderbolt w/I7 and RapidCharge? Or is RapidCharge a new standard feature and Thunderbolt a feature of I7 ivy bridge?

7. pchome

pchome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This confirms my concern for this one. I would get the T530 with quad core if I know for sure it would not throttle on battery but there is lack of information about this issue even for its ancestor the T520.

8. XX55XX

Reputations:
    Not sure about RapidCharge, but the S430 and the T430s are the only Thinkpads that are getting Thunderbolt.

9. svenghali

svenghali Newbie

Reputations:
    Ordered a T430 the morning they were released, did anyone else see the glitch where it was -50 off the price if you elected windows home and business 2010? I checked back the next day and it was +200 the next day. Guess I came at the right time! Order just left Hong Kong...they are coming woot

10. XX55XX

Reputations:
    Yeah, I missed that. Could have saved an additional $50 on my T430s! Grr!

But whatever.