T420 upgrade to I7-2720QM ES Q154

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by tmonk1, Apr 26, 2018.

1. tmonk1

tmonk1 Newbie

Reputations:
    just recieved my I7 2720QM that I bought off ebay. I got the CPU last night, and I have t admit, it took me 35 minutes to install in and have it up and running.... Such was my expectation.

yaonyc likes this.
  2. yaonyc

yaonyc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Congrats! I just received my i7 2720qm as well. I'll probably do the upgrade in the over the next couple of weeks. I currently have a i7 2640m.

Its a fun little project and your geekbench 4 should be above 12,000 :)

What kind of battery life are you getting now?

I get 6 to 7 hrs with the 94wh battery.

3. RichardQ

RichardQ Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi ,Folks thought about upgrading my T420 i5 to an i7 2650QM ,I'm using the latest Bios 1.51 do .I need to downgrade my Bios? Thanks for any response.

4. Towlieee

Towlieee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Your bios should be fine. I run a 2670qm in mine on 1.51. Been running this processor for 4+ years.

It does run a bit warm, I got used to it. Hasn't harmed anything yet ,and I daily drive and ABUSE my T420. I mean, I use it at home, I use it at work, Iv'e set it on top of hot engines while workong on them looking up diagrams, I've dropped it of of tool boxes, i've spilled liquor, soda, milk, everything across the keyboard multiple times (replaced keyboard twice in 4 years lol)..

My battery life I can't comment on, still running my oem 94wh battery from 2011! Down to 21% life, I still get an hour of very light internet usage on battery before I drop below 30% and I never push it past that level anymore lol