T420 Screen - How is it?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by zeth006, Apr 21, 2011.

?

How would you rate the T420's display quality in terms of color reproduction, blacks, brightness, an

1. Me like.

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. Usable. Not the best thing since sliced bread, but I can live.

38 vote(s)
    56.7%
  3. Horrid. I'm returning

16 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. Other (explain)

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeth006

zeth006 Traveler

Reputations:
    Hey all,

I've been hearing mixed opinions about the T420's screen. Would any of you guys who've seen it care to share their opinions in the poll and perhaps write a brief summary of why you voted that way?

2. ThiPaX40

ThiPaX40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good initiative! Maybe you can add an option? I would like to answer the screen is the only reason I'm not getting a T420(s)..

3. zeth006

zeth006 Traveler

Reputations:
    Well, have you seen it before? If you have and you believe it's that bad, then you can just vote bad!

4. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    I have a T420 and find the vertical viewing angles span 15-20%, back lighting is more than adequate and color saturation could be better, but half of that is because it's matte and I'll give a no thanks to glossy and take the hit on color saturation. So it's the same complaints on this screen as you'll get on a majority of laptops that aren't high-end screens you'd pay more for. Therefore I'm fine with the screen and don't expect better unless I'm paying $1,500 for something that calls itself a superior screen (such as the X220 IPS or HP DreamColor displays).

Lenovo sources its LCD panels from the same suppliers many other manufacturers do and they have multiple suppliers, which means there might be some variation in screen quality from one T420 to another, but not huge. I don't know, people that comment on NBR are by nature more geeky than your average Joe and add to that ThinkPad discussion generates passion and that explains why there's over 158,000 hits on the search "Lenovo Screen" just in this forum alone.

5. zeth006

zeth006 Traveler

Reputations:

Who're you calling a geek! Let's take this outside! *Rolls up Geek Squad t-shirt sleeves* :mad:

But yeah, you're right. People on NBR have all things notebook-related down to the tiniest of details.

6. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    Oh, don't get me wrong, geek should be worn as a badge of honor and not a derogatory labeling so I'm not out to insult ;) Just sayin', the type of feedback you'll get here will not be the type you see through a rose colored lens but quite the opposite and very critical. I'm not defending Lenovo, I would agree with a statement such as Apple laptop screens are better than what Lenovo sources (now if only Apple offered a matte screen the MacBook Pro would be more tempting)

7. ThinkRob

ThinkRob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Unless you break it down by panel model it's kind of useless to have a poll like this...

8. zeth006

zeth006 Traveler

Reputations:
    True. I just assumed most NBR'ers here are getting 1600x900 display.

9. ThinkRob

ThinkRob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, but even then there's an issue: Lenovo may well use multiple suppliers for the HD+ panels. I know that the ones that have had their EDID info read and reported have all been the same AUO panels, but I don't know if there are others. Lenovo typically uses multiple suppliers for each part, and it's not unheard of for there to be substantial differences between the various manufacturers.

10. ThiPaX40

ThiPaX40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guess a poll like this only works when it's a sticky?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.