T420 AUO (garbage) panel replaced with LG (acceptable) panel

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Edmund_t420, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edmund_t420

Edmund_t420 Newbie

Reputations:
    I purchased a T420 with all the bells and whistles about 5 months ago and was extremely disappointed the MOMENT I first used it due to the awful grainy, cheap display made by AUO that served as a constant reminder to me that I was foolish for “trusting” that choosing an “upgraded display option” from a company like “Lenovo” would mean I would get at lease at decent product in return for my money.

Long story short, after doing a considerable amount of research on the topic (I read all the threads), I concluded that even though I was really mad about what happened, there was nothing that could be done:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/7437917-post2.html

About a month ago I dropped my T420 (which was in a sleeve) from about 4 ft in the air. Upon opening it, I discovered the AUO panel that I so despised was shattered. Talk about fate.
    I found a vendor selling the LG (matte only) on amazon (for about $90):
    Amazon.com: LG PHILIPS LP140WD2(TL)(B1) LAPTOP LCD SCREEN 14.0" WXGA++ LED DIODE (SUBSTITUTE REPLACEMENT LCD SCREEN ONLY. NOT A LAPTOP ): Electronics

I carefully removed the bezel w/ the help of patience and a credit card:
    LCD bezel assembly removal - Thinkpad T420 and T420i

Unscrewed the (4) screws holding the broken AUO panel, and proceeded to install the LG I had purchased:
    LCD panel and LCD cable removal and installation - Thinkpad T420 and T420i

I fired up my T420, and for the first time, was actually satisfied with what I had bought. The bezel is a little loose in one area, but this is really a MINOR tradeoff all things considered.

The LG screen is comparable in contrast, viewing angles, and color spectrum to the AUO. However, unlike the AUO, it does not (at all) have any of the disappointing “griddy” or “screen door” effects which have made the T420s notorious.

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    What does HWiNFO report as the part number of your new LG screen? The one in my T420s is LP140WD2-TLB1 and exhibits some griddiness.

John

3. fraushai

fraushai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good job. I wonder if there are full HD screens fitting the T420/ T420s?

4. edit1754

edit1754 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  5. blinder

blinder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    fwiw i have this one as well, and i have slight gridlines also

6. Edmund_t420

Edmund_t420 Newbie

Reputations:
    it appears LP140WD2-TLB1. To be honest I wouldn't even say the LG has "some" grid after the AUO. Night and day!

7. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thanks. That says a lot (in an uncomplimentary way) about the AUO screen.

John

8. ammarr

ammarr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the AUO screen and I don't really notice the "screen door" effect unless I am 3-4 inches away from the screen. Overall though, the screen is definitely washed out compared to x220's IPS.

Nice to know that there are relatively cheap alternatives available though in case it becomes a problem later :)

9. ThinkRob

ThinkRob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As a counterpoint, I have the AUO panel, and while it does have a more noticeable anti-glare finish than most, I wouldn't use the hyperbole that the OP did. Yeah, it's got a finish that looks "griddy" if your eyes are <= 18 inches from the screen. At arms-length I hardly notice it, and even when I do, I stop noticing it within a minute of working. I tend to spend more time concentrating on what I'm using my laptop for than minute details of the laptop itself.

10. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The best way to solve this debate is side-by-side comparison. Nobody in their right mind would pick some of the Lenovo supplier panels if given a choice of something better for the same price. The real problem is that this decision sits in the hands of many procurement departments where the issue becomes a number.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.