T420 and Displayport audio problems

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Jesper Juul, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GomJabbar

GomJabbar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Interestingly I bought supposedly the same adapter from a different Amazon.com vender, ELMENOS. Amazon.com: Premium Black DisplayPort Male to HDMI Female Adapter: Electronics

Looking at it again, what I got looks a bit different than the picture. What I got doesn't work with my X220. Others are reporting that the following works with the X220. You might give that a try.

For only $6.30 each when QTY 50+ purchased - DP (DisplayPort) Male to HDMI Female Adapter | DisplayPort to HDMI | DVI | VGA Adapters

2. Kimon

Kimon Newbie

Reputations:
    Ensure you have the latest audio drivers as well. I was having issues with the audio while in a skype call (would tell me that soundcard was disabled) which were rectified with the latest audio driver from lenovos site. Worth a try even though these problems are most likely not related.

3. Jesper Juul

Jesper Juul Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks, but I already have the latest audio drivers.

4. Jesper Juul

Reputations:
  5. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    Congrats, at least we now know that it's not fault of the system itself! I guess the cable choice is really key to whether you can output sound or not through the Displayport (different DP versions maybe?).

I hope your findings will also help others on making the correct cable choice for a hassle-free experience.

*I stickied your findings on the T420 thread.

6. Jesper Juul

Reputations:
    Thanks, yes it could be something to do with versions, because the cabel that works with the X10 series Thinkpads doesn't work on the T420 and the other adapter I bought in Denmark which should pass audio doesn't work either.

7. sprtnbsblplya

sprtnbsblplya Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thats weird, because I have that exact adapter with a cheap HDMI 1.3 cable running from the adapter to my Toshiba Regza, and all works perfectly.

T420 (fully stock Win7 install from Lenovo) --> Premium black DP male to HDMI Female --> cheap HDMI 1.3 cable from Amazon --> Toshiba Regza

Everything worked automatically from day one. Maybe its the cable you're using with the adapter and TV? Who knows.

8. GomJabbar

GomJabbar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I ordered that adapter from Amazon.com but what I received did not look exactly like the image. My adapter was more rounded like, and without the hump at the female end. I think I got some Chinese knockoff and not exactly what was listed. I bought my adapter from ELMENOS at Amazon.com. My adapter will not work with the X220, but others report that they have adapters that do work with the X220.

Does the adapter you received look exactly like the image in the link?
    Is there any branding or part number on your adapter?

9. RabidBeaver

RabidBeaver Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My non-working adapter is like you describe, rounded and different from the picture. I've decided I don't like the way these adapters stick out of the laptop, so I'm going to give a cable a try.

By the way, my 420 is up-to-date using the shipped Win7 installation.

10. sprtnbsblplya

sprtnbsblplya Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mine isn't rounded, it is square like in the image.
    There isn't any branding or model numbers on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.