T42 - Is it really the best business notebook?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by joel37865, Jan 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joel37865

joel37865 Newbie

Reputations:
    From what I see, the IBM T42 is highly praised in this forum, especially as a business/college notebook;'great keyboard' 'unmatched build quality' - to mention a few often heard compliments.

Is the pricey T42 really superior to machines like,suppose,HP nc6000 or Tecra M2 ?

What is it that makes it - so I gather - a notch above the others?

2. AJVETT

AJVETT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    HP's Business notebooks are actually quite good, IBM and Fujitsu rank # 1 and 2 on the list IBM being #1 of course.

3. Mark Reed

Mark Reed Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How close is Fuji s6000 series to IBM t42? Mainly the hinges of the lcd... the ibm lcd is very sturdy and has no wiggle or flex at the hingles.... is the fuji similar?

I really hate when lcds flop back and forth and seems like they are gonna snap at the hinges due to cheap materials.

4. Mark Reed

Mark Reed Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by Brian

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  5. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    The Fujitsu build quality is very strong, I really wouldn't worry about its hinges. As for the T42, it's the premier business notebook because of its build and the software included. If you're thinking about buying wait for the T43 to see price cuts in the T42.

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

6. Flyboy

Flyboy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Mark Reed,

I would love to know what to choose...I am looking at the S6231 and S7010 as well, but I am coming for an ACER that was, as you say, flexiable[V] and I want something that is strong.

Flyboy

7. Mark Reed

Mark Reed Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by SkiBunny

8. SkiBunny

SkiBunny Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm given a new Thinkpad every 12-24 months for work. The T22 was fairly light and solid, and my previous ones were built like tanks.

Mine take *extreme* abuse... I literally throw them around and smash them up, because they're company property, not mine [:D]. I've even punched them hard numerous times when I get angry about something from work. Like the old timex tv ads say, they take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Never had a problem, except that the trackpoint acts up after awhile... when you use it, the mouse keeps moving afterwards a little [:(]

9. SkiBunny

SkiBunny Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by joel

10. joel37865

joel37865 Newbie

Reputations:
    I’m grateful for all the replies.

It seems that a few further questions arise here.

1. Has IBM build quality really dropped in recent years?

2. While some other brands are also mentioned in this thread, nobody said anything about the Toshiba Tecra M2. Isn’t the Tecra supposed to compete with the T42?

3. Finally, Is the new Intel chip a true revolution or just an upgrade we could run decent business (and perhaps light graphic) applications without?

Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.