T42 Battery life

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by nmzak, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nmzak

nmzak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have had a T42 2379 DXU for about three months now. I am very impressed with the build quality and keyboard. The only concern is the battery life. When running at 60% screen brightness and surfing the web, I get only about 1 3/4 hours of battery life. This is after running the battery down all the way and then charging it back up again (reconditioning). Is this normal? Is it because the hard drive is running at 7200 rpm and the processor is a 1.7?

2. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    that seems like a low number to me. I think the biggest factor is the screen size of your T42 though...if it's a 14" range then I'd be really surprised this is all that you're getting. If you have a 15" screen then that drains power faster than the 14" size so not quite as surprising. Also might want to check your power settings (you can do this using "ThinkPad Configuration" utility in the control panel area), set it to high battery performance to make sure that the processor is throttled when on battery...since you're using a Pentium M and it's a Dothan it has good power saving features and the processor should not be the root of your problem for battery life.

3. nmzak

nmzak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After testing the battery further I get 4 hours when doing word processing and spread sheet work. I set the screen to 40% brightness and turn off the wireless antenna. I guess the screen is the big culprit in draining battery life. Turns out the battery is not defective. I get 2 hours when downloading and surfing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.