T400s officially announced.

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by MaX PL, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fs005

fs005 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes. You can configure your t400s with either standard 1.8" HDDs or SSDs.

2. cn_habs

cn_habs Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    upgrading to SSD costs 40 dollars and buying a 2.5 HDD is around 100?

3. twister

twister Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I meant OS optimization (cutting down on all the crap at startup) to shorten boot-up time, not improving performance of SSD. It’s a common sense that even the fastest SSD will have a sluggish boot up time in comparison to 5400rpm drive if your OS start up is not optimized. Thanks for the links; I will definitely check these out.

4. cturner

cturner Newbie

Reputations:
    Having been debating between the x200, x301 and t400 for the past month, with nothing feeling quite right, I am very intrigued by the t400s. However, as many have stated here, the drive is potentially a showstopping issue.

Since there's so much variability between SSD drives right now, could someone with one of these machines (ptrn or Kevin?) kindly put us at ease by benchmarking the 1.8" Samsung MLC 128gb SDD directly against a good reference (ideally the x301's Intel MLC X25-M). Good benchmarks would include not just R/W throughput, but also small file R/W IOPS.

I think that would really answer the question of the viability of the 1.8" drive, and the need for putting a X25M in the 2.5" caddy...

I look forward to seeing these numbers somewhere, and thank whoever comes up with them...

5. twister

Reputations:
    btw, I just scanned through Tom's HW review of Samsung SSD drive and its not that bad. It puts Intel and latest Samsung at the top of their list where Intel slightly ahead of Samsung. Based on some test results it looks like Samsung's 64GB SSD versions is not that great, while 256GB/128GB is more favorable.

6. KUNFUCHOPSTICKS

KUNFUCHOPSTICKS Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone noticed there are only 3 indicator lights at the "Indicator panel"...!!

I have an IBM badged, Lenovo made X41 and it has 8 indicator lights below the screen... Good job on the bigger keys, better track pad...yada yada, but are they doing to the indicator lights???

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  7. twister

Reputations:
    Guys, checkout video review on jkOnTheRun: http://jkontherun.com/?s=t400s

Wow, multi-touch trackpad is AWESOME!!! JK couldn't keep his hands off the machine LOL!!!

8. undoIT

undoIT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Very nice! I was hoping it was a synaptics multi-touch trackpad like the one you can get optionally with the X301. Was just about to post a question asking if anyone knew whether it was synaptics or not :)

9. wilse

wilse Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    no, putting a decent ssd in the t400 will cost about $300
    the samsung ssd that lenovo offers isn't good, so you'd need to order the t400s with the cheapest drive, buy a good ssd (about $300), and install it, throwing out the drive that the laptop came with

10. cturner

cturner Newbie

Reputations:
    Could you kindly link me to a review that benchmarks the 1.8" Sammys? I've seen a few on Tom's using the 2.5" Samsungs, but I'm not sure they're directly comparable.

I believe you about the difference between the 64GB and 128GB versions though. If you have a look at Samsung's tech sheet for the MMCRE28G8MXP ( http://www.samsung.com/global/syste...product/2009/6/11/237587PM800_Spec_200906.pdf ), they publish that the 128GB is 220/200 MBps, vs the 64GB's 220/120 MBps and that's just throughput... we really have no idea how IOPS looks. However, seems safe to say the 128GB is more than just the 64GB with more memory chips on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.