T40/41 tips/notes from users needed please.

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Koko56, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thinkpad knows best

thinkpad knows best Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 64MB X300 is more like an X300 SE because it was a cheaper version of the 128-bit memory bus X300, and used hypermemory to make up for the memory it lacked dedicated. It replaced the mobile Radeon 9600, which was featured in some T42 machines, i highly recommend an X300 graphics T43, unless you want to spend a bit more and get a T42p or T43p, which had more powerful GPU's oriented toward 3D intensive programs.

2. Koko56

Koko56 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I see. Right now it does not look like I will be getting an X300. I think I might just have to jump with the laptop number two or number three.

It's just that it absolutely must be here on Monday and I so far I have not received a reply back about the video card - would lke to ask about delivery also. Oh and a quick look on Ebay UK did not bring up any T43p notebooks, and only one T42p and it is on an auction for four more days.

Though would the aforementioned Intel GPU be okay for some older games, lika again, say Carmageddon, Doom maybe Serious Sam and such?

3. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    You should get a T42 with ATI 9000 GPU, the ATI 7500 isn't adequate for most of the 3D games that you want to run on it. The Intel GPU is even worse than the ATI 7500.

4. Koko56

Reputations:
    Right now it does not look like I will get anything at all as I can't be sure that the laptop will get here on Monday. BTW - the 3rd laptop I mentioned in an earlier post has an X300 GPU I got told, what version I dono, but either way it seem to be better than the Intel GPU in this case.

5. gforce23

gforce23 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Or better yet, a T42 with a MR9600. A lot of modern games (no, not the latest games but rather from circa 2006-07) need a DX9 compatible graphics card at a minimum and the MR9000 doesn't cut the mustard.

6. thinkpad knows best

thinkpad knows best Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No T43? X300MR outperforms 9600, i suggest you get it. You'd be happier with it, it does get a bit hotter but not considerably. The X300MR is also highly overclockable, i've OC'ed it from stock 230/230 to 450/325.

7. Koko56

Reputations:
    I see. Thanks for all the help, but I have not ordered the laptop as I could not be sure that it would get here today...

As for playing games from 06/07 with a laptop such as this - well I personally would not plan to...

I tried playing CoD1 on a Q310 and that does not run too well. Though games like Serious Sam should be just fine I presume.