1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

SZ160P vs SZ160P/C - whats the difference?

Discussion in 'Sony' started by poweruser, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poweruser

poweruser Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What's the difference between the SZ160P and the SZ160P/C ?

2. Aero

Aero PC/Mac...Whatever works!

Reputations:
    One has carbon fibre /C

3. poweruser

poweruser Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What model has Home and what has Pro?

4. Sunfox

Sunfox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, the P/C comes with Pro.

5. Aero

Reputations:
    all P come with pro

6. poweruser

poweruser Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I confirmed with a friend that the 160P also has Pro pre-installed.

7. Aero

Reputations:

yeah all P have pro installed.

8. Speckled Jim

Speckled Jim Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is there even a SZ160P model? They are both listed if you go to Sony's support site, but following the links through to spec sheets, there is only one document - for the SZ160P/C.

If it follows the same convention as the other SZ models, the P stands for (XP) Pro, and the C stands for carbon.

9. canonyau

canonyau Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    yes, Jim is right, the /C means carbon fibre and SZ160 comes with carbon fibre.

10. poweruser

poweruser Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the responses. I am looking at a 160P and the casing appears to be carbon in color and is light weight. How can I tell if its made of carbon?

In using chat based tech support I asked about the differences. First the support tech said the P/C is carbon in color. But the 160P is also carbon in color. Then the tech stated the P/C has 7hours battery life while the 160P gets 2.5-4 hours. I was shocked to see this written. But when I tried to follow up the tech told me to contact Sony sales and cut me off. Do you think there is any truth to the drastically different battery life? Was this tech just an idiot or did he let something slip so they cut him and I off?

A Sony sales phone rep didn’t know the differences and didn’t even know a 160P existed.

A SonyStyle store rep thought the 160P is just premium (maybe with a plastic shell) and the 160P/C is the carbon shell.

Can anyone with an SZ160P confirm what casing this laptop has? Can anyone with a 160P/C or a 160P upload pictures of their shells so we can compare?

11. LarryEitel

LarryEitel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had a 160P and it was carbon as far as I could tell. I returned it to Frys due to prob with spacebar not triggering space events consistantly. I now have a SZ140 from sonystyle. It is 2mhz non-pro. Still looks and feels great. I got a silver keyboard and the space bar functions properly.

12. Aero

Reputations:
    What do you mean "it was carbon as far as I could tell". Its impossible NOT to tell the difference. One is black (Carbon Fiber) the whole handrest while one is silver (Magnesium).

13. stlrob

stlrob Newbie

Reputations:
    Mine says VGN-SZ160P on the lower lefthand corner of the screen and VGN-SZ160P/C on the box. It is both Carbon in Color and has a Carbon fibre frame (its the premium model). It think they both refer to exactly the same computer.

14. Sunfox

Sunfox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You sure the label by the screen doesn't say VGN-SZ160P?

15. stlrob

stlrob Newbie

Reputations:
    Corrected, sorry for the crucial typo!

16. poweruser

poweruser Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The 160P I am looking at has VGN-SZ160P/C listed on the box UPC sticker. The laptop inside has VGN-SZ160P listed in the lower left corner of the screen lid.

There are two different models as listed on the Sony support site. It lists both the VGN-SZ160P and the VGN-SZ160P/C.

I haven't seen a laptop with the VGN-SZ160P/C in person so I cant compare the frame to the VGN-160P. I am hoping more people will have insight into the differences as Sony support feels there is enough of a difference to list two separate model numbers on their site.

To me the bottom of the 160P feels like a textured metal and is cool to the touch like metal. Maybe that part isn’t carbon like the P/C models? Just a guess since I haven’t seen a P/C in person to compare.

17. Sunfox

Sunfox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For all we know the /C part just means it ships with the memory card reader. I notice the manual makes mention of two different card readers and the possibility of not getting either.

18. poweruser

poweruser Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The 160P ships with the Memory Stick Duo reader integrated into the laptop. It also comes with an Express Card memory reader for memory Stick PRO, xD, SD and MMC cards. Is there another memory card reader for the P/C?

I’m still inclined to think the different model numbers have something to do with the chassis or the hardware inside. No one at Sony seems to know or is not giving me a straight answer.

19. ostack

ostack Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The "C" means it is for Consumer sales. You cannot buy a SZ160P, as it is only available to Yakusa in Japan. If you somehow managed to get a SZ160P, you truly have a special laptop there. I wouldn't make it that widely known, as the Yakuza may send someone to come and get it from you.

20. poweruser

poweruser Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That's funny:)