Synaptics causes BSOD on P650SE

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Stevehjger, Feb 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aveyer

aveyer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have never touched anything related to under volting or overclocking etc.

I have formatted at least 4 times since getting this laptop last March, from Win8.1 to Win10.
    I've tried Clevo drivers, XMG drivers and XMG BIOS and or Drivers directly from the manufacturers including Synaptics and Realtek etc

This has eaten up so much time and energy, and since coming back from the "repair" center the first time there are now
    black lines in the screen or the screen goes totally black for 1 second at random times. (also happened on Win8.1)

My brother has the exact same laptop, never had this problem on Win8.1 nor Win10.

I've used a W170ER and W370ET before and never had such issues.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  2. xink64

xink64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just wanted to say that after installing the Win8.1 driver for synaptics I've seen no more BSODs at all. I've disabled automatic updates, so it does not install the Win10 driver again. I could imagine this is what happens to 9 out of 10 that installs the Win8.1, but not realizing that the Win10 is back and causing more BSODs.

3. aveyer

aveyer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Clevo provided Synaptics driver or driver from Synaptics directly?

How long have you been using it?

4. xink64

Reputations:
    It's the Win 8.1 from the XMG P505 driver site in the main thread of Clevo P65xSx.
    Version 19.0.15.2

I've been using it for about a week. This installation had one BSOD while using the auto-installed driver and now with the aforementioned one, I haven't seen any since :)

On a second thought, shouldn't 8.1 driver be version 18.x.x.x?

5. aveyer

aveyer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yea that's what I thought too, I only used the XMG win10 drivers though, took almost 2 weeks before BSOD so I wouldn't count on it being cured.

Just super random and hard to reproduce.

6. xink64

Reputations:
    Huh, well I had it happen every day exactly when I went to work. I would wake the laptop from sleep, it would hang on login (no mouse movement) and then mostly BSOD or respond after 15 seconds or so. Sometimes 1 minute later BSOD anyway, because why not :D

Was happy with 7 and 8.1, but now 10 seems stable for me anyway.

I never had the bbxxkks .sys BSOD though and also never while gaming.

7. aveyer

aveyer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That sounds like a different problem then, I've never had any problems with waking from sleep or anything.

8. xink64

Reputations:
    So what do you have? During gaming?
    I think they are somehow all related. It seems weird that from 8.1 to 10 all these BSODs show up.

9. aveyer

aveyer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My BSODs always happened during gaming at totally random times, you could be playing all night without problem or you could BSOD after just 5 minutes playing.
    I thought it was limited to games only but a few nights ago I was in the middle of work stuff on desktop and it BSOD.

So it can happen anytime, but as far as I remember the BSODs only ever happened while inputting on the keyboard because I was typing when it BSOD a few nights ago,
    so maybe it's a faulty batch of keyboards.

I've tried every driver available, no luck.
    My brother got the exact same laptop as me (we ordered at same time, came together) and his never had this problem, on Win8.1 or Win10.

So that's why I think it must be hardware, like a bad batch of something.

It went to the repair center and got a mainboard replace no help, but now the screen goes black sometimes (or horizontal black line).

10. xink64

Reputations:
    Wow you haven't been very lucky! I think you should downgrade to 8.1 if stable or go with 7 even. I know that 7 is rock-solid with this hardware and should be supported till 2020, where this hardware is far obsolete.
    If this installation gets weird or BSOD I will settle on Win7 for good and not touch it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.