Synaptics causes BSOD on P650SE

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Stevehjger, Feb 7, 2015.

1. aveyer

aveyer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes I've said it many times now, Clevo Control Center (Hotkey) is the cause.
    Remove it completely including any folders and BSODs should stop, otherwise format and don't install it again.

Hotkeys should still work, they are working for me.

2. ShadowedIce

ShadowedIce Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I was able to use the Fn key when I uninstalled CCC, but my headphone port stopped working.

3. ipwn3r456

ipwn3r456 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My headphone port still works after uninstalling CCC, maybe you should try reinstalling sound drivers.

4. ShadowedIce

ShadowedIce Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My port didnt stop working at first. I think it happened after I had put the system to sleep and then did a restart later on. I tried uninstall and reinstalling both the realtek and the creative drivers when it happened and neither fixed the issue. The only way I got the headphone port to start working again was to install CCC.

Edit: And by not working I mean no sound would be played through the headphones. Realtek would know that I plugged a device into the port and it would stop playing through the speakers but no sound would come from the headphones.

5. oile

oile Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As I wrote before, audio port doesn't work after a deepsleep if hotkey driver is not installed. There's a dll in this software that redirect audio every time.

6. ipwn3r456

Reputations:
    You are right. It doesn't work after a deep sleep.

7. Neotanks

Neotanks Newbie

Reputations:
    As a few people in this thread have mentioned, HotKey - specifically, the filter driver HkKbdFltr.sys, is exactly the problem causing these BSODs. Removing or disabling the driver directly causes your keyboard to go completely unresponsive within Windows (and mice experience the same loss of functionality with the removal of the equivalent mouse driver HkMouFltr.sys). These drivers persist even if you uninstall HotKey.

The solution I applied was first removing HotKey (the application - just use the Control Panel's Add/Remove programs option), and then reinstalling Windows 10. The "system refresh" option, which deletes apps, reinstalls drivers and such, but leaves your files alone, works just fine for this. This will reinstall your keyboard and mouse drivers without installing the OEM's extra drivers. This will delete all of the applications you have on the same drive as your Windows 10 installation, so it can be a hassle if you've been using your computer for a while like I have, but Windows keeps a list of all removed apps so you can find them again pretty easily. Also, if you happened to install a bunch of your apps on a different drive, you can keep all of those. :D

As you can see, the end result is that HkKbdFltr.sys is gone, and I still have the use of my keyboard.

[​IMG]
    (The extra driver is some harmless-looking thing that shipped with Avast, you should only have the bottom three post-reinstall.)

I actually still have all of the hotkey functionality that my machine shipped with, including the touchpad disable control - there's just no informative popup for these, since that was part of Clevo's HotKey application. More importantly - no more BSODs! I can finally get through a few rounds of CS:GO without worrying that my keyboard driver will blue-screen my laptop in the middle of a defuse. :D

Hope this helps other folks with this issue!

8. sammy34

sammy34 Newbie

Reputations:
    A week ago I found the same issue many here found after a sudden crash & reboot of Windows 10 on my P670 whilst in a game. I read most of this thread before deciding to remove the Control Centre, and there had been no crashes or reboots since.

However there are other issues related to removing the Control Centre. Notably, the headphone jack doesn't work. And it's also a little more annoying to switch between the discrete or hybrid mode graphics.

So I've found a way to keep the Control Centre, but prevent the loading of the HKKbdFltr driver which is causing the issues. The driver is installed as a filter on the device, and it's pretty simple to remove it via regedit while leaving everything else as is.

To stop the driver loading, find your devices in regedit through a search for "HKKbdFltr" and "HKMouFltr" ( if you want to remove the mouse driver too ). Mine were found here:

Keyboard
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Mouse
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96f-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

In each, you should see a UpperFilters entry. Simply double-click and remove the appropriate hk ( HotKey ) driver line. Don't change or delete anything else. Once you reboot, they should no longer be loaded. Here's mine now:

[​IMG]

And I've been writing this listening to music through the headphones again.

9. jflans

jflans Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, I just tried it, and I managed just about. However I found the mouse and keyboard filters to be in the same place, even when I searched specifically for them, so only had on hk line to remove not one for each. Hoping it works!

Update: this has been working for over a month now, I think that for the problems I was having (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL SynTP.sys BSOD, and the BSOD blaming hkkbdfltr.sys) then Sammy34’s fix is the best option, I have had no problems or consequences to this fix other than the BSOD’s ceasing to affect me.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  10. ipwn3r456

Reputations:
    Is it still working for you?