Synaptics causes BSOD on P650SE

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Stevehjger, Feb 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundChaos

SoundChaos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Crash is still happening with control center and hotkey removed, and synnaptics installed. It still ONLY happens during very long gaming sessions, but to reiterate, i have monitored all temps and they are under 60c when the crash happens.

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\122115-7421-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: syntp.sys (SynTP+0x6E9CC)
    Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFE001F08C8004, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF801D106E9CC)
    Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\syntp.sys
    product: Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
    company: Synaptics Incorporated
    description: Synaptics Touchpad Win64 Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: syntp.sys (Synaptics Touchpad Win64 Driver, Synaptics Incorporated).

Removing synnaptics again (regrettably) and will report if issue persists.

2. aveyer

aveyer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Make sure any folders related to Clevo Control Center (hotkey) are removed also.

I am still testing with CCC (Hotkey) uninstalled,
    I did some TF2 and did alot of GTA V for hours while Steam broadcasting at the same time, which is pretty much maxing both GPU and CPU and no problem yet.
    Gonna keep testing.

3. ipwn3r456

ipwn3r456 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have this problem too, didn't found out this thread until today. Over the past few months, I probably got about 4-5 BSODs for syntp.sys while playing CS:GO. It would only crash while I am playing CS:GO, but not the other games I have been playing (Dying Light, Payday 2, Black Ops 3, etc), which makes it really weird.

I heard some people to uninstall the synaptic drivers, and some people said until the Clevo Control Center. What should I do first?

4. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I'd maybe try the synaptic one first, then see if that fixes the issue. Then try control center after that.

5. ipwn3r456

ipwn3r456 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I suppose I should do that.

On a side note, never knew you are up that late.

6. aveyer

aveyer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Uninstall CCC and see how it goes, uninstalling Synaptics won't help.
    I still have not BSOD yet (CCC not installed).

7. xink64

xink64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think you guys are approaching this wrong.

First off, programs and leftover files rarely cause driver related BSOD, so forget about Hotkey and CCC and what games you are playing etc.

It's almost always the drivers in this case, accessing wrong memory space, making interruptions at the same time in the kernel etc. that are to blame. This is why SynTP might not be your problem even if Windows says so. It can be another driver getting in the way. I believe that the RealTek guys made some pretty bad drivers not long ago, so maybe that's a place to look, for example you could disable Ethernet, etc. in BIOS, which could help identify the problem. Now remember that Win10 will push and update some of these drivers automatically so always double check the version and brand.

With my own BSODs, they always happened after sleep using a secondary monitor upon waking the laptop. I replicated the scenario and found the culprit and messed around with the drivers until it was gone.

My win10 got fixed with touchpad driver version 19.0.0.24 (I think).

If no driver combination fixes your issue you should consider RMA. Especially if it keeps coming at random times with no certain set of events. It is much more likely to be faulty hardware then.

8. SoundChaos

Reputations:
    Of course its not the programs being installed, but rather the drivers that come along with installing these program utilities. When you install hotkey/control center, it also installs additional keyboard and mouse drivers to your system. Those who have been successful in removing these drivers seem to no longer have their system crash. I thought I removed them when the program was uninstalled, but the hotkey drivers still exist and are still the cause of my crashes.

9. xink64

xink64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You know you can check what drivers are being used and also exchange them in "Device Manager" right?

10. SoundChaos

Reputations:
    Exactly, hence why I can see that after hotkey was installed, that now there is a driver called hkkbdfltr.sys driver for my keyboard that has taken over (image attached), and it happens to be the exact driver that still gets reported for the cause of the crash if you remove the synnaptics. If I change drivers to a basic keyboard driver in device manager (image attached), it reverts itself back to hotkey driver immediately after restart. If i turn off or uninstall the device, it says changes wont take effect until a restart, then once I restart, it turns the device back on with the hotkey drivers. If i try to manually delete them, it says the driver is in use and cannot be deleted, and the same goes for if I try to manually remove them via CMD admin.

If i reinstall the computer without ever installing hotkey, these drivers are never present, and as far as I can tell, the computer never crashes. This is my current path that I'm on, but clevo still needs to release some fixes for this.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.