1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

SWTOR Minimum System Requirements

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by grebsern, Jul 21, 2011.

1. grebsern

grebsern Notebook Enthusiast

OS - Windows XP, Vista/7
    CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better
    RAM - Windows XP: 1.5GB Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB PCs using a built-in graphical chipset, 2GB RAM recommended.
    Video - ATI X1800 or better* nVidia 7800 or better* Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better*
    DVD-ROM - 8x or better *Minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM and Shader 3.0 or better support.

2. lozanogo

lozanogo Notebook Deity

Source?

10 chars.

3. grebsern

grebsern Notebook Enthusiast

4. Jasp

Jasp Notebook Evangelist

Looks about right tbh, they are going to want this game to appeal to a mass market, having jacked up system specs is not going to help.

5. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Notebook Evangelist

Agreed. They've openly stated that the game will be playable on a wide range of hardware (i.e. old/lower end). That's one of the reasons they've gone with a cartoony visual style; it's far less graphically intensive. Now, that doesn't mean they aren't going to put other graphical features in to make the game look great if you've got the hardware for it. Just means the barrier to entry is low enough to appeal to a larger market.

It would have been more interesting to see the recommended specifications...

My 1st generation 15" MacBook Pro from early 2006 is just barely below minimum spec for this (2 Ghz Core Duo not C2D, X1600 not X1800), so I'd figure any half decent Windows laptop of the last 4 years should be able to run this without much difficulty on at least a medium if not low setting (if you were pushing the minimum spec).

6. GeorgeOkeefa

GeorgeOkeefa Notebook Consultant

I like their philosophy...but the game just looks years old before it even comes out. I think my biggest issue is just how bland the game looks.

7. GamingACU

GamingACU Notebook Deity

So mid range computers from 2006 will be able to play this game...sounds pretty awful to me. I have a feeling this game is going to look terrible compared to its competitors like GW2.

8. everythingsablur

If you run anything at the minimum required system specs, then of course they're going to look horrible. WoW is circa what... 2004? On a high end machine, they throw in some bells and whistles to make it look pretty.

You can do a lot with optimizing graphic detail levels to specific performance levels. Look at Starcraft 2 on low vs on high/ultra. Same game, but look completely different.

That said, I don't think they are at all going for the same appeal in terms of graphics compared to some other MMOs that really look drop dead gorgeous. They went cartoony for whatever stylistic reasons they chose. If it holds true to BioWare traditions, the story will be the real driver for many people to play this game.

I'm playing through KOTOR1 again right now. It looks horrible, but it was just so much fun in the first place it's easy to overlook.

9. abaddon4180

abaddon4180 Notebook Virtuoso

I have tried to replay KOTOR1 5-10 times since I beat it and I can never do it. It was such a good game that every little detail stuck with me so I find it too repetitive. I hope that The Old Republic has a story on par with KOTOR2, because it obviously isn't going to be as good as KOTOR1, but I also hope the online play makes it worth keeping.

10. GeorgeOkeefa

GeorgeOkeefa Notebook Consultant

I'm basing my judgements on the videos they've put out. I can only assume they aren't putting out marketing videos on low-end systems.

11. Voodooi

Voodooi AFK for a while...

The most gorgeous MMO I've played thus far was Rift.

I just hope that SW looks equal or better at higher settings :)

12. everythingsablur

Heheh... It literally has been maybe 6 years since I last played KOTOR1. As I'm playing through it, I am remembering things and skipping some dialogue (... anyone that isn't HK-47?). I don't know if I'd be able to play through it again right afterwards to run through dark side dialogue/story, but it's been fun to relive it before SWTOR (especially since it was $2.50 on Steam).

I'm tempted to find a copy of KOTOR2...

True, but it's also a game still in development/beta stages. It could get more polish before launch date. The graphical style overall is just not going to sit well with some people, regardless of how much polish is put on, or how good the story is.

13. jrjunior

jrjunior Newbie

I'm not computer savvy, but, I'm interested in purchasing SWTOR. Now I do havea couple questions. Firstly, I have an HP dv5 1138nr laptop. I have no idea what the specs are, but, I was wondering if my laptop would support SWTOR. Can someone please answer this for me?

14. Mr_Mysterious

Mr_Mysterious Like...duuuuuude

Looks like you're very close to the bottom of the minimum system requirements.

From HP:

Product Name dv5-1138nr
    Product Number NF783UA#ABA
    Microprocessor 2.00 GHz Intel Centrino Processor Technology featuring Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5800
    Microprocessor Cache 2 MB L2 Cache
    Memory 4096 MB
    Memory Max 8192MB
    Video Graphics Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
    Video Memory Up to 1759 MB
    Hard Drive 250 GB (5400 rpm)
    Multimedia Drive SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
    Display 15.4” diagonal WXGA High-Definition Brightview Infinity Display (1280 x 800)
    Fax/Modem High speed 56K modem
    Network Card Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN
    Wireless Connectivity Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN
    Sound Altec Lansing speakers
    Keyboard 101-key compatible
    Pointing Device Touch Pad with dedicated vertical and horizontal Scroll Up/Down pad
    PC Card Slots
    One ExpressCard/54 slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)
    External Ports
    5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards
    4 Universal Serial Bus USB 2.0
    4th port shared with eSATA
    1 VGA (15-pin)
    1 HDMI
    1 RJ-11 (modem)
    eSATA + USB 2.0
    1 RJ -45 (LAN)
    2 headphone-out
    1 microphone-in
    1 notebook expansion port 3
    1 Consumer IR
    Dimensions 14.05" (W) x 10.2" (D) x 1.37" (min H)/1.65" (max H)
    Weight 5.83lbs
    Security
    Kensington MicroSaver lock slot
    Power-on password
    Accepts 3rd party security lock devices
    Power
    65 W AC Adapter
    6-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion)
    What's In The Box HP Pavilion WebCam with Integrated Microphone

HP Mobile Remote Control

Mr. Mysterious

15. Voodooi

Voodooi AFK for a while...

Still debating whether to play this game.

I remember how addicting WoW was to me initially. Just afraid that I'll play too much and push my responsibilities aside :p I know, I know ...self-control, but some games out there are just so fun, it's difficult lol

16. jrjunior

jrjunior Newbie

Hey thanks Mr. Mysterious. Yeah I figured that it would be on the bottom if at all. I do plan on getting another laptop, sometime after the new year. Just wanted to know if it would work on the one I have. I greatly appreciate your knowledge man.

17. jrjunior

jrjunior Newbie

lol @ voodooi, my first mmo was actually DCUO on ps3... While I love it, it has nearly always been broken and now that they went f2p, as a paying member I havent been able to sign on since f2p lauch as the queue times are abyssmal, So I'm in the market for a fresh new MMO.

18. narsnail

narsnail Notebook Prophet

While I agree it doesnt look the best, the amount of detail put in to the massive maps on every planet is staggering, the environment, texture, and other details more than make up for it IMO. I was super opposed to an Old Republic MMO, but I am somewhat addicted now (beta tester).

19. Prydeless

Prydeless Stupid is

The whole 3 day beta is just weird, but I guess it's better than nothing. I'll at least be able to play the game.

20. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Notebook Enthusiast

I am so burned out on WOW these days. Been playing it on and off since beta and I'm done with it for a while.

It's time for a change and SWTOR caught my interest with the different elements it has compared to a standard MMORPG. You've got companions that you have to manage and you also have space combat to go along with the standard ground combat of other MMORPGs. Those two things alone add a dimension to the game that will hopefully make it stand out from others.

Another thing I like is they are taking the WOW approach on system specs. They are keeping them modest so the game is playable on more machines. This helps me out in that it will play well on my laptop and my buddy, who is running on a less than stellar machine, can run this as well(he passed on Rift because of the system specs).

I am definitely looking forward to this one(and I am not in beta).

For reference, I still haven't found anything as addicting as Asheron's Call was, when it was first launched(which is a good thing). :) That was my first MMORPG.