Switching back to Windows, need a gaming laptop or gaming rig

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by nizmoz, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nizmoz

nizmoz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? $2500-3k tops

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Dell, Alienware, Asus, Lenovo, MSI, Microsoft
    b. Dislike: HP, Acer
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?'

Email, Web Browsing, some gaming (call of duty, battlefield, etc), video processing

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Yes, home, work, and when I travel out of town

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Call of Duty games, Battlefield

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

The most possible. Like 7-10 hours or more

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Sometimes, but not required

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows 10 64bit

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

High quality screen, sharpness, brightness, with high resolution. My work OG Dell XPS 13 with the 4k panel (not real 4k) but close, is hard for me to read, so 13" is out of the question. If it was a 15", it would be fine probably.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Either, but whatever gives me the best clear quality of the screen, and I think Glossy usually does that.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Yes, nothing that feels cheap and looks like cheap plastic

15) When are you buying this laptop? Very quickly

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? 3-4 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive? 512gb or higher SSD

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner? A plus if it has one, not required as I have an external Blu-Ray burner on my desk.

I am unsure what direction to go here. I very rarely play many games, but the specs I need for other things I do (video editing, etc) I need some pretty stout specs.

I bought 3 months ago a MacBook Pro 15" 2017 model, with i7 2.9ghz, 16gb, 512gb ssd, touchbar, apple care plus. Almost $3k later, it has twice on me gotten the O/S corrupted from just a reboot and I had to reinstall. I am so fed up with it. It seems its a common issue with High Sierra. I have it hooked up to a CalDigit TS3 dock, that runs my Dell U3415W Ultrawide Curved monitor.

So, with that, I am either switching back to a Windows based laptop that can is light and powerful and around the same size as the above and can run my external monitor too and possibly do some light gaming with Call of Duty titles, or Battlefield ones. I am unsure if my DOCK will work with the new laptop, so that is optional and I can get something else if needed after I sell it.

Also, I could go back to building a gaming rig again (my last one had an i7-7700k, and it was a beast. Really heated up this room which was one of the reasons I got rid of it. To afford this build or laptop, I would have to sell the MBP most likely. I do have an iPAd Pro 10.5 I rarely use, and having a tablet/laptop would be nice if there is one that can do it. The Surface Book 2 is an option, but it seems confusing to figure out if I can get what I want out of it, and if it's going to be reliable for what I need.

Let me know all your thoughts and recommendations and from those who may have done it too.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  2. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For gaming, desktops are always the best option, because of the upgradability. If you require a gaming system for mobility then it really depends on your needs. Best to use the form so that we know what you expect out of the notebook and budget. At the macbook pro price level that you have, you can pretty much get whatever gaming notebook you want.
    As far as the thunderbolt3 dock, it should work fine with any notebook with thunderbolt3 port, so most modern higher end notebooks offer that. However since new CPUs are coming soon and then likely new GPUs by the end of the year, perhaps it is best to wait if you can to get the latest tech.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Vasudev and slimmolG like this.
  3. nizmoz

Reputations:
    Thanks. I updated my post above with that.

4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Custom Built MSI GT75VR 7RF Titan Pro-202 17.3" w/ G-Sync nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

I have the GT73VR Titan Pro which is very similar but the GT75 has a slightly better screen (3ms vs 5ms on the GT73VR) and a better keyboard. See my review here: MSI GT73VR 7RF Titan Pro-425 Review By Phoenix

The GT75VR has the best screen out there now, a 120hz/3ms FHD Panel, excellent cooling, and of course, the GTX 1080

If you email donald@hidevolution.com and tell him your NBR Forum username, you might get a small discount

Edit: Nevermind, I just realized that you don't want more than 15 inches so consider this:

Custom Built EVOC High Performance Systems 16L-G-1080 15.6" Custom Built Gaming Laptop w/ nVIDIA GTX 1080

5. nizmoz

Reputations:
    Way over my budget. But thanks anyways.

6. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    You said your budget is$2500-3k tops in the form :rolleyes:

7. nizmoz

Reputations:
    Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 10.22.20 AM.png

I just looked up those and the prices were $5k-$8k.

8. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    The price of the laptop is 2799 USD!

[​IMG]

Obviously when you add the SSDs that I did the price would be 8K! I have specific needs that's why I had all those SSDs but the base model comes with a 1TB HDD and you can add another 256GB SSD for the OS for like 90 bucks!

did you even bother clicking on the link that I suggested and actually configure one? :rolleyes:

Vaardu likes this.
  9. nizmoz

Reputations:
    The laptop you suggested isn't portable enough for my requirements. Thank you.

I went ahead and decided to get a desktop. I have a thinkpad T460s that will be my main laptop.

I ordered the Dell XPS 8930. Fully decked out. For that 17% off it was a no brainer. For $2200 w/tax. I been building systems all weekend and they are way more than that for basically the same hardware. The power supply is a little weak, but at least its a standard size and I can swap it out. I compared building systems everywhere and they are just way more money right now. So this was just a better buy. My ThinkPad T460s will do for my laptop and my iPad Pro.

Windows 10 Placemat

Dell USB Mouse

Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black

Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2

Integrated with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro

BDRE Drive (Reads and Writes to Blu-Ray disks)

NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X Graphics Memory

512GB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD + 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive

XPS 8930, Special Edition Chassis (460W)

32GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2666MHz (4x8GB)

Windows 10 Pro (64bit) English

8th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K 6-Core Processor (12M Cache, up to 4.7 GHz)

4 year Premium Support

Vistar Shook likes this.
  10. nizmoz

Reputations:
    Slight change, I canceled the Dell XPS and ordered a full gaming desktop.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($329.00 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair - H115i PRO 55.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X CODE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($301.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($216.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($115.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Crucial - MX500 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($249.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card ($1049.89 @ OutletPC)
    Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $2563.42
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-27 17:12 EDT-0400

Vistar Shook likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.