Swiss Made Watch

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by miro_gt, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimsoned

Crimsoned Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And laptops that* are all plastic, why pay more for one?

For the price the OP has he won't be getting gold casing, just about any watch over 38mm will have approximately $500-$800 worth of gold if it's a gold casing, add in retail. Unless you mean gold plated... and in which case you're a giant tool for wearing a fake gold watch. Not to mention they're gaudy as crap.
    For the price the two watches I listed will be hard to match, spec for spec. Hack wind, easily serviceable anywhere in the world, sapphire crystal, 2 year warranty (that actually works), 28800 BPH, swiss made, etc.

Seiko's cheapie automatics are no were near the quality of the ETA movements despite what many people will say. Sure they work, but they work as well as a Toyota Yaris. Reliable but low end and evident.
    (Seiko 5's are pretty much throw away, few watchmakers even care to fix them since Seiko doesn't even sell parts)

2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Golden watches don't look good IMO.
    Wonder how much titanium Swiss watch would cost.
    I got a cheapo Lorus watch I bought for around 100EUR. It has a titanium body. Now I'm not comparing it to higher quality watches, but I very like how my watch feels and its weight. Very light.

3. Crimsoned

Crimsoned Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Only issue I have with titanium is that it scratches easier than steel.
    There are some swiss-made titanium watches around, specially quartz one. Bulova has a few.

4. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    Hey Crimsoned. Do you know what's up with the newer Tissot watches having new caliber ETA movements that don't seem to be in any other watches? I heard a few of the parts in there are plastic, which might be a good thing (I don't know) but certainly makes them sound inferior to the more common ETA calibers.

5. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    This one looks good...

[​IMG]

6. Vogelbung

Vogelbung I R Judgemental

Reputations:
  7. Crimsoned

Crimsoned Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can you show me some?
    ETA and Tissot (among others) are part of the swatch group company meaning Tissot, Hamilton, and Mido often get their grubby paws on modified pre-existing movements made by ETA.

Some mechanical chronographs used by Tissot utilize plastic parts similar to the Lemania chronograph and can be had for well under $1,000 retail. It's a good way to keep costs down however the only downside is that they're non repairable for the most part.
    From my understanding only lower end mechanical chronographs use plastic parts. I don't believe there's a simple complication (day, day date, or simply time) that uses plastics in the Tissot line up.

8. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  9. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    Tissot Seastar 1000 Automatic
    [​IMG]
    uses: ETA C01.211
    discussed here

10. Crimsoned

Crimsoned Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is a chronograph movement, so yes there are plastic parts. My authorized dealer has a couple, nice watches.
    Shouldn't really deter from functionality or reliability. But may make it non serviceable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.