Swiss Made Watch

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by miro_gt, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    alright so I'm thinking in getting a nice watch finally, and naturally I want a Swiss made one. Now I've listed through god knows how many by now and cant seem to find the one, so help me out here. What I'm looking for is a small man watch that is simple and stylish. By that I mean I dont want to look at it for more than a second to figure out what time it is, so no big digits / arrows / or bunch of useless meters inside, just simple but stylish. I would like a leather strap as the metal ones tend to get heavy, and as thin as possible so that it wont bother my hand too much. As for the brand - as long as it's Swiss made I'm fine.

here's website that lists Swiss brands:
    SWISSMADE Watches
    click on 'Brands' and then 'Who's who'

but to give an idea, the Burberry BU9008 would have been a nice one but it's too big for me.

I guess I'm looking for something like this, but the price tag would finish me at this point, lol. But it looks perfect, though I dont know the size.

[​IMG]

size-wise probably something like the Gucci 9040 or 9045 line but with leather rather than metal ..

what are you all going to suggest ?

2. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    So much to say. let's start with the basics.

1) Price range
    2) quartz, automatic or hand-winding
    3) Many nice non-Swiss watches have Swiss movements, this opens more possibilities, such as this:

3. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  4. knight427

Reputations:
    Well, that watch design was used by the German Luftwaffe in WWII. Stowa happens to be one of a few original makers, though this is of course a modern movement and much smaller. But not your style, that's fine.

So at $500, it's probably good you want quartz. 36mm is pretty small for a guys watch these days (current trend is very large).

I see your chart is from Jomashop. In your range, I'd only suggest Tissot or Hamilton or Movado. I like Tissot teh best out of those. Check out their Classic T and T-Trend lines.

I really like the idea of this Tissot watch. It is an autoquartz, which is an interesting blend of old and new.
    [​IMG]
    Amazon has better pics, but they are sold out.

5. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yeah I was just browsing Tissot watches as well in here: Categories - Luxury Of Watches , they look OK.

lots of nice watches at 38mm but not in 36mm. Yet some people like to carry water-meters like Diesel, heh.

thanks for the help :)

EDIT: I guess Tissot PR100 is one of the few options here

6. danielschoon

danielschoon das it mane

Reputations:
    Maybe something like Meistersinger is good. They look nice in my opinion. I dont know where you live but it seems like if they are only available in Western Europe and they are quite expensive (prices start at 800€). But they are like a good fit for you, basic , smaller size and very good quality

7. knight427

Reputations:
    I'd suggest posting your question to a watch forum like watchuseek. Make sure you specify that you want a quartz movement, $500 and 36mm size.

8. Crimsoned

Crimsoned Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How about:
    Tissot Le Locle ($650 retail, can be had for cheaper).
    Tissot Visodate ($650 retail, same as above).

Both are made by Tissot which is a reputable swiss-made watch manufacturer and are automatic using ETA 2824-2 (le locle) movement or 2836-2 (visodate).

I own both, and collected watches for a year.

9. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    ^^^Quite expensive watches and only stainless steal bodies... Kinda lame.

10. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    lots of good info over at this forum, thanks for posting it. I came up on it while searching but didn't pay too much attention until today. Apparently I know nothing about watches, heh, but that's being changed right now in positive direction :D

quite expensive watches out there indeed. I'll post pictures on interesting models, should I come across any, but hard to find variety under 38mm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.