Swift 3 or 720S

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by don_svetlio, Aug 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    Hey y'all. So I'm currently trying to decide on a new 14" laptop. I've narrowed down my choice to these 2. Any thoughts or warnings/PSAs?

2. Raphandryu

Raphandryu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It would have been easier to compare if you mentioned the specifications of both laptops as both Swift 3 and IdeaPad 720s are available in various specs.

Here's my opinion for base model with similar specs.
    Swift 3 looks more like a laptop than an ultra book, while IdeaPad 720s have better looks(some people care about the looks as well).
    Ideapad have a better screen than Swift 3 in terms of brightness and colour accuracy.
    IdeaPad have a better battery than Swift 3.
    Port selection of Swift 3 is neat while it is limited for ideapad.
    Swift 3 is heavier than ideapad.
    Both have a nice build quality.
    Thermals depends on your GPU option (neither are very cool and quiet at high load or intense gaming as these are not meant for gaming).

Summary - IdeaPad is a better ultrabook than Swift 3.
    Other thought - Swift 5 is much better than ideapad but a little costly if you want to consider that.

3. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Yeah, I the specs are identical, sorry for not mentioning it - both laptops come with the following

i7 8550U
    256GB NVMe SSD
    8GB DDR4 2400
    MX150 2GB GDDR5

Generally, I'm leaning more towards the 720S since I did find a thread about the Swift 3 with people complaining about fan clicking and general issues. I also like the idea of a larger battery and the screen is also something I value.

4. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do not buy the version of the Swift 3 with the black bezels as it has a poor sRGB coverage, is really dim (around 200 nits at 100% brightness) and it's glossy to boot. The newest version with the slim bezels has a much better screen and is actually a very nice laptop. The Ideapad 720s is also a very good machine and has an excellent keyboard and screen. I would buy the Ideapad 720s.

Bear in mind that the Swift 3 comes with soldered ram and cannot be upgraded to 16 GB later on.

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/17425-lenovo-ideapad-720s-review/

don_svetlio likes this.
  5. Raphandryu

Raphandryu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would too suggest for the ideapad over Swift. 720s is just way better in everything than Swift 3.

6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Thanks guys - ordered 720s :)

Raphandryu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.