Swapping GPU question

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by LeWZ, Jan 29, 2017.

1. LeWZ

LeWZ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello, I own a M17X R4 with a 7970m. My gpu died a few days ago and I acquired an official Dell Alienware M17X R9 M290X gpu. It even comes with the X-clamp that will fit on my notebook`s motherboard.

Anyway, I was just wondering: can I simply replace, install the drivers from AMD and everything will be ok it or must I flash a new VBios and control the fans manually with hwinfo, as you do when you swap an AMD gpu with a Nvidia gpu?

2. maxslo

maxslo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Changing from amd to nvidia doesnt break the fans, it depends on a gpu support, some just dont have native fan control, and m290x doesnt have it neither in the m18x r2, m17x r4 or any older model. No need to perform a vbios flash though :)

kosti likes this.
  3. LeWZ

LeWZ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Let me see if I understood what you said: my m17x r4 will recognize the gpu without trouble but will not control the fans automatically, is that right? So I need to use software control like hwinfo to handle this manually?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  4. maxslo

maxslo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thats correct :)

5. LeWZ

LeWZ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, thanks for the answer! Another noob question, where can I find a good fan setup to address this issue?

6. maxslo

maxslo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You should make one yourself, to tune it how u like it (better performance or more pleasant for the ears, in any case i suggest u try to keep that gpu under 75°C :)

deadsmiley likes this.
  7. LeWZ

LeWZ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last question: what's your opinion on MSI Afterburner? I heard good things about it, since you can make profiles with different fan speeds according to the gpu's temperature.

8. maxslo

maxslo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It may be able to do it for Desktop GPU's but i highly doubt it can do it for mobile GPUs.
    Desktop GPU -> Fan profile burned in the GPU, and GPU adjusting fan speed directly
    Laptop GPU -> Fan profile burned in the motherboard, GPU reporting temperature to the motherboard and then the motherboard adjusts the fan speed.