Swapped Ugly QHD To An Awesome UHD Display Alienware R4 Tutorial

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by SUADE8880, Jan 7, 2017.

1. SUADE8880

SUADE8880 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I couldn't do it anymore. Looking at my shiny new $3000 laptop and the screen that I look at 99% of the time was ahh killing me so softly. The horizontal striping line debacle is a real issue for my eyes and to many others. Dell is in the midst of addressing the issue but I couldn't wait any longer and took it upon myself and bought my own screen.

UPDATE: AUO B173ZAN01.2 UHD is now available with GSYNC enabled. Panel available in matte or glossy.
    AUO B173QTN01.4 QHD is now available without any line issues.

AUO B173ZAN01 IPS UHD
    One of the best displays on the market. Quoted from one of the reviews "Not only does the screen cover all the sRGB colors but it scores 100% on the Adobe RGB space as well. In fact, the panel covers a good number of the DCI-P3 and it’s pretty close to Pointer’s Gamut meaning it can reproduce almost all of the natural occurring colors around us."
    Check one of the reviews here....http://laptopmedia.com/review/acer-...nd-advanced-successor-of-the-predator-lineup/
    Specs Here....http://laptopmedia.com/screen/auo-b173zan01-0/

Bought it on Ebay for $89 shipped from China. But it feels like its worth a $1000 bucks in my eyes :bigwink:
    [​IMG]

So lets start by pulling the LCD bezel apart. There are two tape strips both on top and bottom of the bezel. Just dig your fingernail under one of the corners and give it a nice tug until it start unclipping itself. Work your way around the LCD until the whole thing come apart.
    [​IMG]

Lets take out all 6 screws. The two lower ones will release the Alienware Light strip. Don't worry about the lcd falling on you after you unscrewed them. The LCD is magnetize to the back cover.
    [​IMG]

Now lets lower the LCD face down. Always good to rest it on something soft like a piece cloth. Watch out for the LCD cable..
    [​IMG]

Take out the 40 pin cable and you're done! Work in reverse to put everything back together. About a 30 minute job.
    [​IMG]

The results are in. It is a huge difference coming from the broken QHD to the UHD display. Its really night and day difference and I couldn't be happier. One look and you know the colors are better in every way. The images are much sharper, the contrast and brightness are a tad better and so is the viewing angle being an IPS display. But the whole idea behind doing this was to no more staring at the darn Horizontal striping filth.

Before with QHD display(Warning: if you're viewing this on QHD display then you may not see the difference)
    [​IMG]

And now awe....The new UHD display. No more line issues! :biggrin:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  2. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 5.1GHz

Reputations:
    Maleko48, Vasudev and SUADE8880 like this.
  3. IXVIXXII

IXVIXXII Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Good job! It IS better that's for sure. The banding is barely visible on mine. If I had not been aware of it, I might even haven't noticed it.

Did you have any issue with Tobii eye tracking system ?
    How does G-sync cope with a different screen ?
    Did you have to "tell" win10 you swapped or was the new screen detected ?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    SUADE8880 likes this.
  4. kaktusUK

kaktusUK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Apart from the banding issue which appears to have been particularly bad on your example (mine was rather unnoticeable) I find the colour and sharpness of the Qhd to be better than the uhd. The Uhd looks washed out. Might just be bad photos...

Ultra Male likes this.
  5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:

definitely just photos
    the 4K uhd display is absolutely the best panel you can buy for a 17" laptop in terms of color reproduction right now (sharp or auo)

SUADE8880 likes this.
  6. djfergi

djfergi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great job. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Would this teardown also apply to a 15r3?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

7. SUADE8880

Reputations:
    Just plug n play. Win 10 automatically detects it. Just have to adjust your personal own resolution and scaling afterwards.
    No issue with Tobii eye tracking.
    G-sync should work but I will have to verify that later.

IXVIXXII likes this.
  8. SUADE8880

Reputations:
    Just the photos as I was trying to capture the banding/striping issue close up at a certain angle. The Qhd isn't really bad. It's one of the better TN displays out there besides the banding defect. But it is in no comparison to the 4k IPS UHD once you look at both of them.

9. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    15R3 has a different display mounting assembly but how you would remove the bezel is the same

SimplyJ3sse and djfergi like this.
  10. djfergi

djfergi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks Mobius

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk