Surface Pro 4 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Templesa, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Templesa

Templesa Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As I've pre-ordered a Surface Pro 4, I felt like I should create the owners thread.
    Currently, the available configurations are:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...25711500?icid=en_US_SurfaceP4_cat_modF_100615

[​IMG]

Processor: m3; (Rumored fanless) 4GB RAM; 128GB SSD (No CTO options); Intel HD Graphics
    Processor: i5; 4, 8, 16GB RAM Options, 128, 256, 512 SSD Options; Intel HD Graphics
    Processor: i7; 8, 16 GB RAM Options, 256, 512, 1TB SSD Options; Intel Iris Graphics (w/ 64MB L4)

All models include the Hybrid Liquid Cooling system (unconfirmed with m3)

Not all models will ship by Oct 26th- please note i7 variants will not ship until Nov. 20th

New Keyboard attachment (sold separately) has fingerprint reader, and will work with SP3 according to Engadget

"Like the Surface itself, the Type Cover is thinner and lighter. The trackpad is 40 percent larger and the keyboard has been upgraded with more space between the keys and better travel at 1.3mm. A lot for a cover this thin. The new Type Cover also works with the Surface Pro 3.

With Microsoft Hello, the front-facing camera can log you in to the computer with your face and other biometric inputs including the fingerprint scanner found on the keyboard."

More information to come as we discover it...

hmscott likes this.
  2. hunterdt

hunterdt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Which one did you order? Are you going to use it for primary laptop? I am comparing it with xps13, I have used Dell before, just worry about Dell's customer service and quality control.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    I'm just waiting to buy the new pen for my Surface 3.:cool:

4. be77solo

be77solo pc's and planes

Reputations:
    Personally, can't wait to see the new heat sink/cooling system in action. If they have improved that area alone and nothing else I'll jump all over the SP4. Excited to see some real world results.

Use my i7 SP3 daily, mostly as a tablet/slate w/ pen, but also love having the keyboard handy when needed. Fantastic devices, great form factor.

5. Templesa

Templesa Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The i7, which unfortunately means that it won't ship til Nov 20th. :(

6. m4600

m4600 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have ordered SP4 (i5/16/512) on-line and also pre-ordered an i7 SP4 at a Microsoft Store, just in case. Microsoft store didn't require any prepayment, or even a credit card for pre-orders, so I said why not!
    Most likely I will just keep the i5 (once I confirm that all my software runs fine).
    This will be my secondary laptop intended for travel.

By the way, our local Microsoft Store offers the following bundle for Surface Pro 4:

1) 3 or 4 year Business Complete with Accidental Damage
    2) Type Cover
    3) Docking Station

Prices:
    3 year: $479
    4 year: $599

I am thinking about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2015
  7. hunterdt

hunterdt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Need some advise: do you think that I could replace my rMBP 13 with SP4 ? Thanks

8. Templesa

Templesa Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @be77solo Take a look at Engadget's review. I think one of the most interesting things in it is the benchmark scores, E2,697/ P1,556/ X422 (3D Mark 11 for the i5) compared to the HP Spectre x360 E1667 / P932 / X265 in roughly the same form factor and almost the same GPU, it gets destroyed. Some of that could be optimization of the GPU and CPU, but in reality, I think it's due to the fact that we don't see massive (or even slight) throttling. That alone has me excited. I believe when I looked at anandtech it mirrored the idea...
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/21/surface-pro-4-review/

@hunterdt
    It depends on what you do with your rMBP, and what level of hardware you'd need in your Surface, + accessories.
    Personally, I have a wireless keyboard and mouse for my SP2/4 at home so I don't need the keyboard cover since I usually use stylus input on the go. What do you intend to use it for?

9. RS4

RS4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    radji likes this.
  10. be77solo

be77solo pc's and planes

Reputations:
    Just went digging through my 3DMark11 scores for my SP3 i5 and i7 tests I ran for comparison back at launch:

SP3 i7: P1015
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8575293

SP3 i5: P966
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8511323

So, they have definitely improved things, looks like around +P5-600 for the SP4 i5! The SP3 i7 should have been faster than it was, but throttling neutered it completely.

Now just very curious to see SP4 i7 results, and whether or not they are like the SP3 series and perform similarly due to heat/TDP restraints, or if the SP4 i7 can actually pull ahead and use the extra power.