Surface Go, a worthy surface 3 successor.

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kojack, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Alchemist

Alchemist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Surface Go was on my short list for a replacement for my Surface 3. I wanted something fanless, usb-c charging and a more powerful processor... The Surface Go seemed like the natural replacement... until I spent some time playing with it. As it turns out the 10.8" screen on the surface 3 was a bare minimum for me. The increased resolution on the Go didn't make up for the .8" reduction in size.

The Surface Pro 6, i5 would have been a great replacement with its 8250u cpu and fanless design but no usb-c knocked it out as I didn't want to deal with separate charging solutions for different devices. Maybe next time around... but I still wanted fanless and usb-c and there aren't many choices out there. I ended up going with an older 1st gen Thinkpad X1 Tablet with an m5 in it. basically a 4.5w tdp limited version of the i5-6300u. Fanless and USB-c charging. Picked it up in the Lenovo outlet store for under $500 with LTE and keyboard cover. They don't last long when they appear though.

Now if the Surface Pro 7 had a fanless i5 quadcore and usb-c charging with thunderbolt 3. I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Starlight5 likes this.
  2. sabesh

sabesh Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Agreed. I'm using it for Office 365, media consumption (Netflix, Emby) and surfing. I'm even doing some light edits using Photoshop CC. Loving this Tablet!

kojack likes this.
  3. Punisher5.0

Punisher5.0 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I love my 8GB Go. I was able to get one for $425. Good luck finding any tablet with 8 gigs of RAM and 128 gigs of storage for that price. great for internet browsing or playing some old games via emulators. Its surprisingly decent at playing computer games too. Its actually possible to play DOOM 2016 on this. The resolution is low but the framerate is complete playable.

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Agreed punisher. The go is a fantastic device. It is going to be my next "ipad". I find myself using my ipad apps less and less and using my edge browser on it more and more. There are very few apps I use anymore. Hence the reason I got the ipad in the first place. App availability. I got rid of my surface 3 because I got pissed off at MS for cancelling windows 10 mobile update to my 1020, but the grass is NOT greener on the other side. I went apple for a couple of months. TERRIBLE. The MacOS operating system is down right archaic compared to windows 10. Having full windows 10 on my ipad (surface go) will be AWESOME. add in pen support, real mouse support, keyboard with touch pad, and full windows support, and I have the best mobile device available. The surface pro is way more powerful, however its size keeps me away. The go is the perfect size.