Surface Go, a worthy surface 3 successor.

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kojack, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    My Go … a perfect replacement for the Surface 3 that has powered my business for the past three years. The only change I had to make was the addition of a Surface Dock to replace the old Surface 3 dock.

[​IMG]

kojack and daddyfish like this.
  2. daddyfish

daddyfish Newbie

Reputations:
    , I agree with aVex, the bezels are also important for the keyboard, the magnets (for the pen and keyboard) and perhaps also the speakers. I do think they should be reduced a bit but not as thin as the new ipad pro (where the thin bezels seem to be more about form over function in my opinion).

I hope more OEMs besides Lenovo will make Surface Go clones, e.g. perhaps they will release one that is a bit heavier (lets say 600 gr instead of ~500(?)) in exchange for a bigger battery. Probably at least one OEM would make a clone with thinner bezels too.

3. shengna

shengna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How's the battery life?

4. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wouldn’t say thinner bezels are form over function as screen estate is at a premium and a very functional part of use and will assisf in productivity.

5. iMbaQ

Reputations:
    For the size and the CPU, lousy. Something like this should be targeting 8-10+ hours easily considering the power of these CPU’s (or lack of). Microsoft didn’t think adding more battery was worth it for some strange reason.

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Bronsky,

Too bad they did away with the surface 3 style dock hey? It was the best. Drop the device in and everything was in a nice tidy package. The surface dock now looks like an afterthought.

Bronsky and daddyfish like this.
  7. daddyfish

daddyfish Newbie

Reputations:
    , to a certain degree I agree, which is why I think (/said) the bezels should be a bit thinner. However that last bit of bezel does not add much to the size but does make space for lots of other features. Of course eventually all or most of those features can be put behind the screen and palm rejection will be reliable enough, but I think it is currently too early to completely remove the bezel on tablets.

, that is to keep the weight and costs down. E.g. Lenovo's clone Tablet 10 has a bigger battery but also is ~680 gr, which arguably is too heavy if you want to hold the tablet for a longer time. We will have to wait for WoA/snapdragon windows tablet for really good battery life (current gen already shows excellent battery life but performance can/will be much better with the next gen's).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  8. iMbaQ

Reputations:
    How is 680 grams too heavy? Like honestly? What kind of holding was you expecting to do with this that would render this too heavy?

That's the same weight as the old iPad's and the newer iPad's are even heavier and I have yet to hear anyone complain about the weight of iPad's. And this is a device with a lot more power so will see a lot more desk/lap use compared to an iPad which functionally is much more limited. The real reason for the lack of battery is cost saving I'd wager.

9. daddyfish

daddyfish Newbie

Reputations:
    , the old Ipads also feel a bit clumsy tbh. I have a Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 and while I find it usable as a tablet, I wished it was a bit lighter. Though I do keep my tablet relatively speaking high in front of me (better for the neck) and probably a bit further away than the average person. Also I stand and move quite a bit with my tablet.
    I tried an Ipad 2017 which I found to be really nice to hold, though I prefer Windows to iOS (even on tablets/touchscreens).

10. iMbaQ

Reputations:
    At the end of the day, having something slightly heavier is infinitely more useful than something light as a feather and out of battery, which makes it unusable. The battery life is really low, especially if you do actual tasks and not just iPady stuff on it. I couldn’t take this to do a days work without a charger with me like I can with say my XPS 9360, which is a shame.

If they made it 680g with all day battery life, I’d actually consider buying one (despite those ugly bezels). Given the choice of all day battery life and a couple of hundred of grams in weight, the majority is likely to favour the battery life I reckon. You have very unique work flow to most which makes you more weight sensitive.