Surface Go, a worthy surface 3 successor.

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kojack, Jul 10, 2018.

1. rickybambi

rickybambi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm getting about 2 - 3 hours. I'm using Windows Pro, suggested battery mode (one step above battery saver) and exclusively using the MS office apps (outlook, excel, word, project) along with edge and also bluebeam for PDF editing.

Also, as it's a work computer, Maleware Bytes and an anti virus software are running in the background.

I'm not sure if the battery life I'm getting is normal or if something is wrong but so far it's far too low. I really need at least 4 while I'm outside the office running between meetings.

Starlight5 likes this.
  2. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's nice to see other reviews from users it does look like the battery isn't lasting as long as it was stated.

I really do like the device but will be sending it back due to the battery life and also the screen is just a bit too small for me also the cost is over $900.00 with the keyboard and taxes just a bit too much for what I am getting.

The things I love about the Surface Go:

The size is really nice very light and very portable.
    The screen is really crisp and sharp no issue with it at all other than the small size although this is why they made the Surface Go is take with you.
    The speakers are good loud and clear.
    The keyboard is nice and worth getting it's a bit small but didn't take long to get used to it and I would recommend it.

I am going to try the 12.3" Surface Pro as I think the screen size is what I need and it will still be lighter than my XPS 15" to cart around.

3. Xerloq

Xerloq Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hmm.. those are my settings, and I have the brightness set at "brighter"

Ive got Pro, turned off S mode, and just stock AV

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I would have one when they release the LTE model but windows does not have texture, so I would still have to travel with my iPad. So, that’s a deal breaker

5. Xerloq

Reputations:
    If you install a SIM card, you can send and receive SMS messages. They'll pop up in the notification tray (**edit if your mobile carrier allows SMS to tablets.)

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am fully aware of that, I am talking about texture magazine app. An app I use very regularly while travelling.

7. Xerloq

Reputations:
    Oh, that. Well that's Apple. They said they were cancelling Texture for Windows 10 shortly after they acquired it - part of their ongoing strategy to cut off anyrhing and anyone outside their ecosystem. I don't see how you can fault the Surface Go for that.

If that app is a deal breaker, you can't look at anything but Apple.

**Edit: I know it's on Android. Why not get an emulator for Windows and run it that way?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  8. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have emulators on my windows devices, however they are wonky to use. And again, I am fully aware that apple owns texture now. I do not "fault" the surface go, however, not having that app, makes it a no go for me as a replacement for my ipad 128gb. I wish I could, as I would rather the go for everything else. BUT, cannot be without the magazine app for traveling.

9. Xerloq

Reputations:
    I'm confused why you'd go off topic when you started the thread about the Surface Go and a successor to the Surface. Suddenly we're talking about your iPad?

10. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, if you could read the entire post....you would see what I was saying. I WANT to goto the surface go, but texture is keeping me from moving to it. End of story...how hard is that to comprehend? It's not a dig at the go, I think it's an awesome device. However, I need texture for travel. Just because you own one and I own and ipad does not make me a hater, sheep or otherwise. Quite the contrary actually. I LOVE MS, I hate that I cannot use this app via the web, or natively on my MS products.

If you think I am an Isheep here to ***** at MS and it's products, guess again. I HATE apple, actually deteste the insanely frusturating MacOS based computers.