Surface Go, a worthy surface 3 successor.

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kojack, Jul 10, 2018.

1. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's good to hear just too bad you still need to buy the keyboard and the pen which in Canada brings the price up around $900.00. I will most likely get one as I need something to fill in when I don't want to cart my 15 inch notebook around.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just checking to see if anyone pick up the Surface Go and do you like it?

I am still debating as I am not sure about the CPU there are mixed reviews on it so I was looking at the surface pro with the i5 cpu but the price difference is still about $500.00 more expensive by the time you add in the keyboard and the pen. I have already decided that I can get by with the 128 gb ssd as I have one drive.

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I should have one by the end of August. I might even buy the base model that no reviewer has tested and every reviewer is speculating will be useless. I've used multiple 4gb machines with Win10 and they had limitations but they weren't useless. And eMMC isn't going to be slower than the HDDs that all my machines had until a few years ago; I suspect it will still be significantly faster than those.

4. Xerloq

Xerloq Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I picked one up on Launch Day, and have loved it. I immediately upgraded to Pro and took the machine out of S mode after going through the Day One firmware upgrades.

Most of the reviews say that the CPU bogs down under intensive tasks like photo/video editing in Adobe products or "complex web pages." I can't speak to the former as I have a dedicated machine, but the latter doesn't seem to be an issue on Edge. Chrome had some issues with the same pages, so I don't use Chrome on the Go as much. Generally, the CPU does what I need - web browsing, media consumption, and Word/Excel. In most cases I can use RDP to my VM if I need 'more power'. I used Steam streaming for video games, too. If I'm at home, I'm generally using my desktop for most tasks, and the Go streams stuff from Plex or Netflix. I like that I can remove the keyboard/pen for tablet mode.

The only thing that falls outside my expectation is how easily the case scuffs. There are two points on the side where the Surface Pen attaches that are scuffed and worn after a few days of use.

My conclusion is that this is a great second device for on the go productivity.

**Edit - I picked up the 8GB model with the Alcantara Cover and Surface Pen.

Mitlov likes this.
  5. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the mini review this helps me as I was really debating about the Surface Pro but it was at least 500.00 more.

I did order the 8 gb, 128 ssd I should get it tomorrow it will be used for Microsoft office, Netflix, surfing so nothing really intensive so it sounds like it's the right choice. I really wished it came with the pen as I only ordered they keyboard with it.

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Checked it out in person. The screen was great and the performance was definitely better than some OEM devices with eMMC storage.

BUT...

That keyboard is just too small for me to type well. As someone who used a VAIO Duo 11 for years, I wasn't expecting that at all. Try before you buy, folks.

7. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just got mine today you are right about the keyboard very small but it may still work I am going to use it quite a bit for the next couple of weeks as I have 30 days to return the unit to Microsoft if I don't like it.

So far it's a good little machine, the screen is nice, Netflix plays really well, the sound is good and I do like how light it is.

I am still debating on the surface pro 12 " as it's a bit bigger and so it would be a full size keyboard but then I am back to a bigger laptop.

I do find the bezels quite big as well but I am sure it's something that I can get used to. The more I type on this tiny keyboard the better I get not too many mistakes.

The one thing I am not impressed with is the price with the keyboard, taxes it was over $900.00 in Canada that's without the pen and right now they have the i5 256gb 8 gb ram surface pro on sale for 1299.00 so it may be worth buying that one.

Mitlov likes this.
  8. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So I haver been using the Surface Go since yesterday I am getting used to the keyboard but not sure if I can get used to the screen it's a bit on small size but I do love the weight of it. I am testing the battery not sure if it is going to get the 9+ hours that is stated I am sure at this point I will only get about 5 not good.

I am going to check on the surface pro 12" it's only 2 inches bigger than this one and I can get the i5 cpu.

9. rickybambi

rickybambi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been using it since yesterday as well.

The screen is definitely tiny... Though, I do just love the form factor in terms of mobility.

The battery life is my only gripe so far. I'm not getting as much as I thought but I'm going to reserve judgement until I've used it for at least a week or two.

10. Xerloq

Xerloq Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was slow at first on the keyboard, but I'm up to about 80% speed from my desktop keyboard. I was used to typing on a touchscreen iPad keyboard, and this is miles better. It's nice and clicky, and not spongey like some other KBs. You'd probably adjust pretty well.

It is tiny, but that's what I was going for. I tried a Pro and a Pixel as secondary machines, but both were too big/heavy to really use as a tablet.

How's your battery life? I'm getting about 6 hours of heavy use. I got a bit more (maybe an hour?) in just tablet mode w/o the KB and Pen.