Surface Go, a worthy surface 3 successor.

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kojack, Jul 10, 2018.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have been reading about the new Surface Go. Looks to be a great surface 3 replacement. Not quite as much computer as I would like but the 8gb/256gb/LTE flavor is interesting for sure for a compact, well built computing device.

thoughts?

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I'm basically the target market for this. I'm an attorney where my work doesn't involve CAD or MATLAB or anything resource intensive, but instead Microsoft Office and a web browser. I want something small, light, and unobtrusive that I can have with me for meetings all day. I want something that looks and feels professional and quality. I used a base-spec VAIO Duo 11 for years and it excelled in this role.

The screen you get for the price point is incredible for a full Windows machine instead of an iOS/ChromeOS/Android device, especially when you consider it's the rare-but-useful 3:2 aspect ratio instead of 16:9.

The one thing that gives me pause about this is the form factor when compared to either a clamshell, 360 hinge, or slider; the Surface form factor works well on a desk but decidedly less well on a lap, and sometimes in meetings I'm typing with my laptop literally on my lap instead of on a desk.

3. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When I had my surface 3, using it on my lap was not to bad, but I get what your saying. That being said, If you want a small lightweight device that is super comfortable on your lap, my wifes inspiron 11 3000 fits the bill nicely. But the surface is awesome too. Either way you can't go wrong.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    One huge selling point of the Surface Go versus something like the Inspiron 11 is the aspect ratio. 3:2 instead of 16:9 can be very useful when viewing a Word document on a 10" or 11" device, especially if Word's ribbon is deployed and eating into the vertical space.

On a shallower note, there's something to be said for fancy case materials, at least subjectively if not objectively. The Surface Go is magnesium; the Inspiron 11 is very-practical-but-non-luxurious plastic. Since Sony killed the VAIO Duo 11, I'm not of other examples of 10" or 11" Windows PCs with materials like the Surface lineup's magnesium and alcantera.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 2:22 PM
  5. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh...I get that. I am, however very surprised at how well built the 11 3000 is considering the cost, plus the upgradability too. You can add 16gb of ram and a full blown SSD to the inspiron too...well the new ones. the ram is soldierd onto the board on my wifes.

Mitlov likes this.
  6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I really want to see a back-to-back comparison between the base model Surface Go and the Acer Spin 1 (11.6" 1920x1080p touch display, 4 gb RAM, 64 gb eMMC, aluminum case, 360 degree hinge, $329 out-the-door).

7. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    64 gb. Oops my mistake. I was thinking 32gb. I think either would be “fine”. The surface would be the better built device.