]]>

Surface Book 2 (13" and 15", GTX 1050/1060) announced

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by iMbaQ, Oct 17, 2017.

1. phila_delphia

phila_delphia Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not wantign to go completely off topic, but if you mention Hollow Knight, I got to mention Salt & Sanctuary -> 2D Dark Souls! Perfect!

By the way: If you do not need to play the latest titels (I use my big machine for those while the SB2 is for work - mainly) you will be amazed how flawless the 13" will bring to live oder titles. I enjoy playing Fable Aniiversary at the moment an ta 1500x1000p the SB2 is so silent producing 60 FPS at ease that i am really astonished.

Best regards

phila

P.S.: You should definetely give The Wither 3 a closer look!

Darkhan likes this.
  2. rickybambi

rickybambi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was really looking forward to this laptop.

Based on the pre-release hands on videos and information, it looked like it blurred the lines between business and gaming which is exactly what I wanted.

I was willing to overlook the lack of TB3 but this whole power situation has got me spun.

I understand that under full gaming load on a triple A title it will drain battery, the question I have now that I'm not entirely clear from what I've read is if it also at the same time begins to the throttle the GPU. If that's the case, then I won't be purchasing the laptop. If the laptop can provide a few hours of non-throttled gaming at the expense of battery life while plugged in, I may be able to be okay with that.

Thoughts?

Also, here's the latest on the power issue and how Microsoft feels about it which is pretty much "operating as intended".

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/21/16685986/microsoft-surface-book-2-power-problem

phila_delphia likes this.
  3. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was about to post that article. Curses!!!!

So what happens under a full load the battery in the keyboard section will slowly drain under Best Performance mode. There three options when you click on the battery icon in the lower left corner so it's quick to switch between them. Recommended, Better Performance, and Best Performance. In Recommended mode if you play games the laptop will keep itself from blasting the fans and keep them at a very low rpm. You can't hear them when gaming. But, since the fans are on low the components are going to heat up really high when playing high end games. The Better performance pushes the fans a bit more. But it has the same problem as the Recommended settings. Best Performance is exactly as it sounds. You can run games and 1080p on high settings and get 60 fps on alot of titles. So it's very capable in gaming. I didn't pay enough attention to battery drain, but I think you could get around 3-4 hours of gaming while plugged in. So playing a marathon on this device isn't really a strong suit. And if you want a laptop for just gaming this is not the device. But, it has several strong points.

One of the biggest pluses of this device is the keyboard. It's no mechanical keyboard, but compared to other laptops I've used this keyboard as a joy to type on. It almost makes me wish I did blogs for living. The layout feels natural and the spacing makes it easy to type without making alot of mistakes.

Outside of heavy work loads the device has some very insane battery life. So if you travel alot and like watching movies and such on an airplane this laptop would easily work. I've watched hours of Netflix on this device and never came close to running low on battery like I would on a gaming laptop.

The screen is a really nice step up from normal laptops. There may not be any 120hz or G-Sync gimmicks, but it's very nice to look at and has some of the best blacks I've seen on a laptop. Hence why watching movies is such a pleasure on the device.

Overall, if you're looking for a work / entertainment device first and a gaming laptop second then I'd recommend this laptop. If you want something that is gaming first then you really do need to look somewhere else.

I took the plunge on this Laptop because I don't game on my laptop much anymore, I wanted to replace my tablet, and wanted something I could take with me for long periods on time between charges. So far it's not disappointing.

Did I mention the trackpad is actually good? lol

Darkhan and phila_delphia like this.
  4. Epic Caesura

Epic Caesura Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, I *do* write for a living, and the nice keyboard and 3:2 screen is really fantastic. Suddenly, I'm seeing so much more of my MS Word documents at once. I wish the keyboard were quieter, but it's great to work on.

I've also ordered the BaseQi fitted micro SD adapter (it sits flush with the slot). I had a 128GB micro SD card lying around, and I don't use full-size SD cards for anything, so the SD slot basically becomes an expansion port for a second hard drive. I got the 256GB model, so that's a handy bit of future-proofing.

Anyway, the more I use this thing, the more I like it.

5. skyFox90

skyFox90 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So guys, in the end is good or not for gaming?

6. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You really think their loud? Huh. I thought they were rather soft sounding. Lol. Glad to hear you agree that it is a great keyboard. It’s strange that a hybrid would have a great keyboard.

I haven’t picked up and external storage yet. I was thinking of an external usb c ssd. Would be nice to keep some things off the device.

I can’t speak for the 1050 model, but my 1060 15” model games like a champ. It’s no where near as loud as a 1060 gaming laptop and the battery drain is roughly 10% per hour. Less if you play less demanding games. I’ve been enjoying another round of Dark Souls 3 and get 6-7% drain an hour at 1920x1200 on high settings. So yes it’s games well for a work laptop. :confused::p

Darkhan and hmscott like this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Microsoft confirms Surface Book 2’s power problem
    Not ideal for gaming
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/21/16685986/microsoft-surface-book-2-power-problem

Surface Book 2 can’t stay charged during gaming sessions
    The power supply isn't strong enough for continuous NVIDIA usage, Microsoft confirmed.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/21/surface-book-2-battery-charging-gaming-issues/

Surface Book 2 suffers from performance throttling, charging abnormalities, and slower response times
    Though a visual delight, the new Surface Book isn't doing anything to buck the trend of notorious hardware headaches that has become the norm across the Surface lineup.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Surfa...ities-and-slower-response-times.264060.0.html

Don’t Buy The Surface Book 2 For Gaming !
    http://geeksnipper.com/dont-buy-the-surface-book-2-for-gaming/6568/

neohopper, Terreos and skyFox90 like this.
  8. skyFox90

Reputations:
    What about temperature?

9. skyFox90

Reputations:
    Thats bad.. so they put on it a gtx 1060 and one power adapter that is not enough for for gpu/cpu side during gaming.
    great mentality from microsoft.

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The last article I linked also speculates it's a 1060 Max-Q, IDK where they got that idea, but if so, it's still faster than a 1050ti :)

The real downer is the pricing, hovering around $3000 in the mid configuration, even higher priced model(s) exist.

Even for a full 1060 with OC'able GPU / CPU and power to drive it to the maximum performance (230w), that's way too much cash.

And, the CPU is a 15w jobber that's not gonna hold long power runs in gaming, better to get a full 45w BGA CPU, at least that will keep the GPU busy.

Asus even has a 144hz display + 7820K unlocked CPU + 1080 OC'd out of the box laptop for the same price as the Surface Book 2 1060 top model... kinda easy to decide which a gamer would prefer :)

ASUS ROG G703VI-XH74K 17.3" 144Hz G-Sync Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7-7820HK, GTX 1080, 512GB SSD RAID 0 + 1TB Hybrid SSHD, 32GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro + Gaming Bundle
    $3,949.00 MSRP
    $3,499.00 Discounted Price (newegg only?)
    Save: $450.00 (11%)
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...V6685&cm_re=G703VI-_-9SIA57X6JV6685-_-Product
    A57X_131544879623391377XcXnjwfvFr.jpg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Terreos likes this.