Surface Book 2 (13" and 15", GTX 1050/1060) announced

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by iMbaQ, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Commandor

Commandor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can you guys please run some tests and let us know how the 1050/1060 are doing under heavy load and games?

I would love to know!

2. ronkmorris

ronkmorris Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    grabbed the 8gb 13.5 “ model w/ a 1050 and best buy matched microsoft’s education discount, so it was 1799.10. First they said no, but when I told them I could go to the microsoft store to get the discount they caved. Haven’t had much time to play with it, will probably post later with some first impressions.

3. mario64

mario64 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any word on how the 15 inch is handling extended load? Is the dGPU turning off as has been reported?

4. Epic Caesura

Epic Caesura Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Got my 13" machine yesterday. I never spent meaningful time with the original SB, so this was a new experience for me. This thing oozes quality, and I'm thrilled with it (at least when I can forget it cost me two grand to replace a laptop that didn't really need replacing). The 3:2 screen is as great as I expected, and I don't know how I could go back to 16:9 -- for web browsing and productivity apps, you just see so much more stuff. I don't begrudge two-line browser interfaces anymore. Keyboard is great, trackpad is great. Also (please don't laugh), comic books look amazing on the tablet, and I imagine it's generally a great e-reader.

It's not perfect. I do wish it had a Thunderbolt port, just for future-proofing. I also worry about the completely non-replaceable batteries. There's no BIOS setting to reduce maximum charge, and this will be plugged in and at max charge 98% of the time. The base battery would probably never degrade enough to matter, but the tablet battery is only good for a few hours even brand new, and degradation could be a real problem. So, that worries me a bit. Also, Intel's dynamic contrast (a second auto-brightness, basically) is on by default, but the drivers don't include the Intel panel to turn it off -- that's just offensive, really. Fortunately, someone found the registry line for it. And the headphone jack is in a stupid place. And.. umm... the grey color is a little boring? And... that's all I got to dislike. Not a lot.

Of those things, only the battery and lack of Thunderbolt are worrisome, and those are only potential issues for a couple of years from now. Everything else, I love. This is best laptop experience I've ever had.

Note that if you buy from the MS Store online, you can get the 10% education discount just by clicking for it, no proof required. Of course, buying it straight from MS means you're also paying tax no matter where you are (if your state has sales tax, that is).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  5. phila_delphia

phila_delphia Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    O.k. update here: I have been gaming yesterday a good deal. Especially to find out about undervolting Settings. As it stands richt now - the more you undervolt, the more consistent the mhz seem to be. 1506 mhz with 0.875 V will not be as consistent as 1405 mhz @ 0.800 V on my end. Undervolting with Throttlestop seems possible. Been running -60 mV on CPU all Afternoon and evening. This will benefint in slightly better Boost.

Now for gaming. The 1050 is o.k. but will not handle any demanding games if you (like me) insist on having 60 FPS. Watchdogs on medium will run @ 45 FPS for example with 1500x1000p custom resolution. Any older games (thinking of my GoG Backlog will run flawless of course). To achive custom resolution you have to 1.) install the latest Intel UHD 620 Driver manually and then use 2.) Custom Resolution utility 1.3.1 to create the desired Resolution. After a restart you will be good to go.

The office and productivity part is great. Drawing, presenting, and reading!!! with the tablet part only are great.

Best regards

phila

Edit: Still no depleting of the battery while gaming plugged in...

6. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So Far, The i7 1060 Book2 is awesome for business purposes, however even with -110 cpu UV It hits 100c cpu fast! This is just running firestrike, I have not yet ran a game.

Gpu hits around 78 not bad, but firestrike score of 7800 and graphics score of 9500 is a little weak, however I would still be ok with that score on this type of system but the 100c throttling CPU is just unacceptable.

Interested to see what others CPU temps reach? Perhaps I have a bad unit, if I cannot get that lower, then its going back.

7. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  8. phila_delphia

phila_delphia Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi! Can you verify Undervolting does work... I can go to -250mV without crash... and without Temps/Watts sinking only a little. Semms just TS has noc effect...

Best reagards

phila

Darkhan likes this.
  9. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I ended up doing a refresh and then upgrading again to 1709.

Now I can hear the cpu fans, however they take a long time to get ramped up, thus the cpu hits 100 and then slowly drops back to around 91. I hope they can add a more aggressive fan curve?

As for UV the cpu, I have only tried XTU and need to run more test to verify its working correctly, but I can say anything over -130 I have reboots, so for you to even go -250 without crashing instantly on setting it, then I would assume TS is not performing at all on your current setup?

After doing the reinstall on os, my firestrike score is better with 10,500 gpu.

hmscott, phila_delphia and pau1ow like this.
  10. Epic Caesura

Epic Caesura Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    *edit* Found the registry for turning off dynamic contrast:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001]
    "FeatureTestControl"=dword:00009240
    Set it to 9250 and dynamic contrast is disabled.

Really pretty offensive that the machine ships without a menu option for this, though.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017