Surface Book 2 (13" and 15", GTX 1050/1060) announced

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by iMbaQ, Oct 17, 2017.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The surface 3 keyboards I had were terrible...but that should not be an issue with the book. they were way to flexy. I love my dell much more than my surface 3. but the book 2 looks like a killer device!

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No thunderbolt port is a bit of a drag. But, a 1060 on the 15” model has me interested. That would be powerful enough to play modern AAA games at 1080p. And the 95W to charge it would mean it’s possible to use an external battery to operate the device on the go.

3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Seems like the SB 15 comes with only 95w power adapter. Which means it is heavily Max-Qed.

Normal gtx 1060 IS 90w with 100w Boost.

The SB 15 has i7-8650U 25w CPU and with everything else (say ~15w for panel and motherboard) leaves only 55w for GPU

Of course they could use "battery boost" but that is another whole can of worms in itself.

4. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1060-Max-Q-GPU-Benchmarks-and-Specs.224734.0.html

I kinda figured it was. Notebook check says a 1060 max q runs between 60-70w. So you might be right. Microsoft likely undervolted it more. That does actually make me second guess getting one. . .hmm

Starlight5 and Vasudev like this.
  5. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Logging in to say just this. I’ve owned an Alienware 13r3 for the last year, and can actually “max q’d” my notebook by simply using a lower wattage Dell adapter. 90 watts to be exact, which is HALF the power of the included charger.

Gaming performance floats around 80-90% (title dependent) - so depending on your game, it could be a significant hit. But my Alienware runs MUCH cooler and quieter (obviously). I find it to be a pretty acceptable solution most of the time, except when trying to drive a 1440P external display. For 1080P, it works really well. I do find the Alienware will “battery boost” in this mode as well, but that’s because of the 45 watt CPU and GPU combo. Monitoring power draw in HWInfo shows the GPU caps out just under 60 watts, and the CPU basically turns off turbo boost (I don’t recall the power draw).

6. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What would you use the TB3 port for? I honestly haven’t seen a point other than DOCKS, but if you have other ways to make it work, and considering the absurd price of docks (and eGPU solutions), I just don’t get the appeal of TB3. I feel like TB3 is a lot like buying a 4x4 or AWD vehicle...it’s something you like the idea of using, but rarely do.

7. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    To each his own, I love having AWD and use it a lot!;)

phila_delphia and Darkhan like this.
  8. phila_delphia

phila_delphia Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Quoting myself here. I ordered the SB2 on Nov 9th, but then chickened out... rethought (because the 1050 is a mere sidegrade to the 965m and sports 2GB vRam only)... And then anded up preordering on Nov 12th (just in time before they went out of stock ove here). Now I almost cant wait for an update on the delivery status... and hope that UPS is as fast as allways. I hate to admit it, but for the first time Microsoft got me hyped with one of their products. And I am not sure that this is smoething good.

Best regards

phila

Darkhan likes this.
  9. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I got the 15 i7 1tb before they sold out on the 9th. As much as I loved the first one, I am sure I will love the 2nd.

phila_delphia likes this.
  10. Commandor

Commandor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I understand the concerns with 1060 Max Q version, but in reality, the SB2 isn't meant to be a gaming power house. Thus maximizing battery life was a priority. I am eager to see the performance gap between the 1060 and 1060 Max Q version.

I preordered an SB2 15" 1TB for work/travel.

phila_delphia likes this.