]]>

Surface Book 2 (13" and 15", GTX 1050/1060) announced

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by iMbaQ, Oct 17, 2017.

1. wynand32

wynand32 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm not sure what you mean. The battery drain happens with all kinds if apps ( not just games, but anything that pushes both the CPU and the GPU, including encoding video). And, I've seen it happen in both "Better" and "Best" modes.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    From what I was reading and understanding it was only one game that was causing issues.

3. wynand32

Reputations:
    I've done a bit of my own testing, and that's absolutely not the case. I remember Destiny 2 being used as an example, but no other references to this being just a single game.

For example, just last night I played Halo Wars for about 40 minutes, on "Best Performance" and plugged in. My battery went from 100% to 95% during that span. That happens with every game I play. I also tested encoding a video using Premiere Pro CC 2018, and went from 100% to 94% after about 30 minutes if encoding.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

phila_delphia likes this.
  4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Which will cause premature wear on a battery that is not removable... But hey, the power brick is several ounces lighter than the competition :rolleyes:

The chances of a firmware update + new 140W power brick is low. But that the only thing needed to fix this.

5. wynand32

Reputations:
    I believe there's a 120W (or some such) limit to the Surface Connect Port, and so it may not be possible to completely fix the problem. Now, I'd be happy if Microsoft did release a power supply that would max out what the port can accept, and 120W would be better than 95W (the current supply is 102W, but that includes 7W for the USB port on the adapter; drop that thing, who needs it?).

And a firmware update is only going to throttle the CPU, GPU, or both in order to bring its power envelope within whatever the system can provide. That's basically what we're already doing by moving the slider to "Recommended" -- slowing things down to the point where the system isn't pulling too much power. But, yes, maybe a firmware update along with an extra 25W would get the system that much closer to full performance without needing to hit the battery.

Perhaps Microsoft can adjust the power settings to get just enough performance while remaining right on the edge of what the power supply can provide. Right now, "Recommended" does spare the battery but it also significantly decreases performance. And I haven't tested it that carefully, but I'm pretty sure that "Better" can also hit the battery (although less than "Best"). So maybe there's some room between today's "Recommend" and "Better" where some additional performance can be squeezed out.

Ultimately, I'm okay with it because the SB2 provides an overall set of features and functionality that meet my needs. I'm okay with using the GTX 1060 a bit less than full speed -- it's still faster than the other options I've considered. But I can easily see that people might have a problem with this.

6. Epic Caesura

Epic Caesura Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Those of you playing games, how are you finding space for everything? External spinning drives? I just bought a 256GB sd card, and it's already full. Grand Theft Auto V is 77GB. Final Fantasy XV is going to be more than 100...

That said, this is my first gaming machine and I'm still loving it. Yes, the 1050 struggles to run a current AAA game, but there are years of great games for me to play that is handles beautifully.

Even aside form gaming, after almost two months I'm still very, very happy with this machine. Is this what Apple users have been feeling all this time when they buy a top-end Macbook?

7. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    AHHH.

Very good. There was an article on windows central and MS power user that both stated it was just one game. I think destiny 2 was the game. They changed the graphics settings, and away they went with no battery drain while plugged in. I guess this just made my decision easier. xps 15 2 in 1 it is!

8. phila_delphia

phila_delphia Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you undervolt the GPU using Afterburner?

I had battery drain on my AORUS X7 until I undervolted the GPU (they also included a sub par PSU).

I would be interested in this!!!

Best regards

phila

P.S.: What are your CPU clocks like under (very) heavy load?

9. rickybambi

rickybambi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a question for the folks with the SB2.

If your not using the surface dock, and just plugging in a single monitor into the USB-C port via an HDMI dongle, I understand that a 4K (3840 x 2160) display will run at 60HZ.

What I'm curious about is what about a monitor that's a widescreen 21:9 and not the standard 16:9. Specifically, something like Samsung's CF791. It has a resolution of 3440 x 1440 and a 100hz refresh rate. Would those specs be realized using the SB2 or would it be limited to 60hz (or less)?

Thanks