Surface Book 2 (13" and 15", GTX 1050/1060) announced

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by iMbaQ, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    See the package power in TS. I think its hitting TDP limit.

2. phila_delphia

phila_delphia Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thx! I hope you got me right: The trottling is not the problem, but the fact, that on battery an energy state "recommended" the SB2 keeps boosting wich causes battery drain. This only happens when the machine was plugged in at startup and you unplug it afterwards. To avoid this you have to manually reaply the energy state to "recommended".

Best regards

phila

3. Vasudev

Reputations:
    You mean the power plan slider for best performance, battery life etc?

4. be77solo

be77solo pc's and planes

Reputations:
    Greetings all!

Just reporting in that I bought a SB2 13" and then a 15" after owning a SB1 for about a year and a half very happily. Was planning to just replace my SB1 with the SB2 13", had it about a week and loved it so much I decided to swap it out for the 15" to replace both my SB1 and my desktop.

I'm in the process of parting out my desktop Skylake i7/1070 machine, and committed to one machine finally. The SB2 15" is obviously slower than my desktop, but I never dreamed it would be as close as it is, so to simplify to one machine it's worth the little bit of gaming performance loss. Not to mention, love the built in Xbox wireless connection! I'm playing Forza 7 smoothly with great graphics and smooth performance in a Surface package where I can detach the screen and walk through a jobsite at work with a pen?? Fantastic!

Things aren't all perfect though. The current Surface Dock is unfortunately underpowered for the new SB2's, particularly the 15" versions. The SB2 comes with a 102W power adapter, which works great for just about everything with only a bit of occasional battery discharge in severe usage (in reality they should have at least offered, if not included a 120+W). The Surface Dock however is 65W and causes significant battery drainage during heavy usage. So, until Microsoft releases a new Dock, keep using the provided 102W power adapter if you do anything like gaming, graphics work, or heavy disk/network usage.

To get around the Surface Dock issue, I'm using a USB-C to HDMI adapter for my monitor, a powered USB 3 hub, and the included 102W power adapter. Hopefully Microsoft releases a revised Dock and it will be a simple one plug solution again like it was with my SB1.

Darkhan likes this.
  5. phila_delphia

Reputations:
    Yes. Exactly.

Best regards

phila

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Reputations:
    phila_delphia likes this.
  7. phila_delphia

Reputations:
    Dear Vasudev!

Thank you fro your effort. Unfortunately the .bat that I created form your code did not fix the problem. After unplugging the CPU behaves like plugged in (allways keeping the clock beyond 3.x Ghz) until I manually apply the power plan slider to recommended. Afterwards the clock will settle about 1.5 Ghz when idling and up to 2.4 Ghz when under load.

Best regards

phila

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Ok. Honestly, its not my code.
    Any luck in undervolting using TS? You can configure profiles, one for AC and battery. Configure the battery profile for max battery life by setting Speedshift to 200 and power plan to max battery life.
    While switching between power sources there will be brief burst in cpu clocks which is caused due to many backgrounds apps or processes running. You can disable turbo on battery I usually disable turbo boost on battery and cpu clocks at stock speeds.

phila_delphia likes this.
  9. phila_delphia

Reputations:
    I did all of this. Unfortunately Speedshift does not seem to work with the SB2. Plus: Even If I disable the Boost, the CPU will not clock down to lowest clock when ideling (900mhz). TS is better than nothing, but right now you really got to switch manually. I hoe MS will fix this issue for me. I worte in the MS forums allready... but who knows...

Best regards

phila

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Follow this thread The ThrottleStop Guide
    Ithink its worth checking FIVR and TPL settings which provides an accurate value of CPU turbo ratios(FIVR) and cTDP(TPL).