Surface Book 2 (13" and 15", GTX 1050/1060) announced

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by iMbaQ, Oct 17, 2017.

1. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. franzerich

franzerich Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A surface book with a 1060 gtx... while Asus, Acer, Lenovo etc. sell us "Gaming Notebooks" with a 1050 gtx...unbelievable.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 13" model has the 1050. which is probably good enough for me. I want the 13" maxed out. and I want Microsoft to release a surface studio monitor without the computer built in. The ultimate computing device for me.

4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Still no I/O on the tablet portion:mad:

Microsoft's resistance to thunderbolt is ridiculous

Still only a device for creatives without those 2 things

5. rickybambi

rickybambi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The laptop definitely interests me.

I'm wondering what the thermals will be like at full gaming load with the 8th generation Intel chip and the Nvidia 1060.

The photos at the event show the internals of the device along with the fans and heat sink setup.

Does anyone have any thoughts of how well they think the device will be cooled and if it'll throttle?

I'm wondering how the 7700HQ and 8550U compare in full gaming loads (performance and thermals).

6. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cooling is somewhat unique due to the CPU and GPU in separate cases. The 15" uni-body base "should" cool the the GTX 1060 better than the Razer Blade 14" due to the Blade's shared heatsink with its CPU (using this comparison due to similar thickness of bases).

The CPU performance is a tougher question though because the i7-8xxxU + GTX 1060 or above is not a pairing that has been reviewed yet.

7. TJCacher

TJCacher Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes, I think this is a first. Combining a decent gaming-class dGPU with a low-TDP CPU part.

It will be most interesting to read the reviews when this machine is used to run current triple-A gaming titles at decent resolutions and settings. Can a modern thermally-efficient low-power CPU run modern games well if it's combined with a proper GPU?

Personally, I can't wait to find out. I've got some doubts about whether this will ultimately compare well with gaming-targeted laptops fitted with much higher-TDP CPU chips, but, *appropriately or not*, the inclusion of the 1060 GPU in the 15-inch model will guarantee such comparisons will be made.

If it turns out that a lot of games run fine on the lower power cpu as long as the GPU is doing the heavy lifting, I can see myself being interested in one. A 2 pound sports coupe that plays my games acceptably well might be a very attractive alternative to my current little 6 pound tank, even with a minor (<10fps would be acceptable, otherwise, no) frame rate drop.

edit: I forgot to mention my concerns about repairability, though. These *very* compact machines have a dismal record with sites like ifixit on the issue of repairability, and I'm fearful that using a machine like this for a high-demand, punishing usage like extended gaming might (probably will) push the machine to and beyond its limits. If something breaks, not only can you likely not replace or repair it yourself, it may not be repairable at all. A reputable extended warranty would be mandatory in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  8. Dan@Dan

Dan@Dan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    In my eyes, this might be the ultimate allround machine! I do wonder how the thermals will be and how loud it will be under load. Kinda cool to have a decent gaming laptop that can turn in to a tablet and you get the turn the display around to play games when you only use a controller.

Edit: According to the verge, the 13.5" doesn't have a cooling fan for the cpu... Also, would have been cool if they had released the MS Studio as monitor only with the MS Dock integrated in the base all running and powering the Book 2 over that MagSave thing.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  9. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes. Agreed, I want the studio Monitor and a book 2 13" maxed out....Should send a petition to Microsoft to make the surface monitor. the studio without the computer...but still have touch, pen and dial support! WOULD HAVE THAT IN A HOT SECOND.

10. rickybambi

rickybambi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Interesting. I didn't realize the CPU and GPU were separated like that.

Like TJCacher, I'm very curious on thermals and what performance will be like with the U chip and the 1060. Can't wait to see reviews and benchmarks!