Superb Battery saving tricks for your Android phone!

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Ultra Male, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I did this on my Galaxy S8 and it's like I bought a new phone, standby time is now insane the battery barely drops now...

1) Enable Developer Mode (keep tapping on Software Info / Build Number 7 times until it's enabled)

2) Go into developer options which will now appear at the bottom of the settings menu

3) Scroll down all the way to the end and click on Inactive Apps

4) You will see many apps showing the status Active, just tap on it once to set it to inactive!

5) Try to connect to 2.4GHz Wireless Networks when possible on your smartphone as the 5GHz networks usually have worse wireless range and thus the phone tries hard to acquire a signal leading to increased battery usage. I get much better battery life now even with WiFi on while on the 2.4GHz Network

6) Turn off NFC if you don't use it as it's enabled on almost all devices by default.

7) Uninstall/disable Microsoft OneDrive and see your battery increase dramatically. What I noticed that even if the app is not running, I would get a notification occasionally from Android saying "OneDrive is running in the background" and it causes a big battery drain. I tried a lot to find a way to fix this or prevent it from running in the background but with no luck and even though I do use it to grab newly added files to my computer quickly on my cell phone, I would rather live without this feature than have it drain my battery severely. Again, this is one of those golden tips that made my battery level seem like it keep from a different world! Try it for yourself and see.

8) Uninstall/Disable FaceBook and replace it with an app called Metal. Not only does it allow you to chat with your Facebook friends directly from the app without having to install a separate Messenger app for Facebook, it also uses way little battery compared to Facebook.

The only thing I don't like about Metal is the navbar section it adds but this can easily be disabled in the app settings so don't forget to do that.

That's it, this will not disable that app or anything, all we are doing here is not allowing them to run in the background when you don't want them to, they'd still work if you manually launch them. I was shocked to see how many apps were running in the background.

Obviously, only disable the apps that you don't really need to run in the background. Personally, I just kept Gmail, Whatsapp, Google Maps, etc. active, the rest are all inactive.

I've charged my phone to 100% like 2 hours ago and now I am looking at it, it's still at 98%! This is insane! Previously, it would be like 85% by now!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 12:55 AM
  2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Power companies hate him

Vasudev, jaug1337 and bloodhawk like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Does this work on S7? I believe Samsung Members app does a similar thing.
    One thing that bugs me is, I always set background apps to max of 3, but those settings aren't persistent i.e. after a reboot it goes to default OS recommended values

4. daysarelost

daysarelost Newbie

Reputations:
    I think this really depends on your apps using. I'm a bit of a minimalist but that is what i get without using this setting. 2 hours 2% drain.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    It does work on my S7 Edge in the sense that the option to inactivate each app is there in developer tools. But Samsung's device maintenance app does this automatically (at least by default), and I found that most of my apps were already set to inactive.

Maleko48 and Vasudev like this.
  6. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    On Android 6 and under in developer mode you can select how many active apps to keep in memory, select background process limit, I set mine to zero to see what happens.

John.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    you can also do that on the S8

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    all

Vasudev likes this.
  9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    on antutu battery i was getting 8800 without this tweak....with this tweak i got 11943

this should be stickied because this can save people 3hours on their phone and actually works

i have tried everything via youtube tuts to get the best battery life and this is by far the best tweak

Ultra Male likes this.
  10. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Just did this tweak on my BlackBerry KeyOne

jaug1337 and Vasudev like this.