Super raid 2 adapter GT70

Discussion in 'MSI' started by FatCatsFighting, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatCatsFighting

FatCatsFighting Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What exactly does the super raid 2 adapter do? Does it just allow 3x SSD's to be put in raid 0? As I see the GT001-US model also has 3mSATA SSD slots.

2. bullet2300

bullet2300 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It will allow up to 3x mSATA drives to be raided, yes - supposedly you can get up to like 1500 MB/s from them, but doesn't seem to be noticeable in real application from what I've read.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It routes 3 SATA gen3 ports to the primary bay with 3 mSATA slots to use them. You can treat each slot as its own drive as if plugged into a SATA slot on any motherboard.

4. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    Whereas the previous implementation of Super RAID was with 2 mSATA drives + the primary drive, Super RAID 2 is implemented on 3 mSATA drives. Don't let the name fool you; it's not RAID 2 (which is not commercially successful), but rather 3 drives in RAID 0.

5. FatCatsFighting

FatCatsFighting Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When I had spoken with a sales rep for a laptop reseller(won't name any names) they stated that GT70 OD-001US does not have the "super raid 2 adapter" and therefore they can only raid-0 2/3 of the msata ssd's and the third ssd would act as it's own hard drive.

But you're saying that model can support 3x SSD's in raid 0 config? I know the "super raid 2" is just a marketing gimmick, but if that model can in fact raid0 3xSSD's for 3x the speeds, then I'd rather save my money and customize that model instead of buying a dragon edition and having to customize it with better SSD's, the laptop itself already costs a small fortune!

6. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    At 11:33 of this Gentech YouTube video the bottom inside of a GT70 can be seen with the Super Raid 2 adapter containing 3 mSATA SSDs in the upper left corner and a hard drive in the lower right corner.

There are no other mSATA connectors than the Super Raid 2 adapter.

If the GT70-20D 001US ships with 1 x mSATA,that mSATA needs to be in a Super Raid 2 adapter.

I don't see any other way to attach an mSATA SSD.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  7. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    Nooo, I didn't say the 001US had it, I was outlining the differences. :) The 001US to my knowledge can use 2 mSATA drives (Super RAID), but not the Super RAID 2 setup with the 3 drive logic board. The only unit we carry with the Super RAID 2 adapter is the GT70-20D-039US.

8. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Do you carry the GT70-20D 001US?

Viewing Gentech's site and the GT70-20D 001US customization I see that it has 1 x128GB mSATA SSD as the stock Primary Drive configuration and customizations to 2 mSATA SSDs or 3 mSATA SSDs.

How would it be possible not only to have the 1 stock mSATA SSD but 2 or 3 if the GT70-20D 001US didn't have a SR2 adapter?

I don't see any mSATA slots.

9. GenTechPC

GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    SKUs that comes with Super RAID 2 adapter:

GT70 2OD-039US
    GT70 2OD-019US
    GT70 2OD-001US
    GT70 2OC-017US
    GT60 2OD-026US
    GT60 2OC-024US

The board are all the same, it's a 3x mSATA module. the differences with these SKUs are some came installed with only 1 mSATA SSDs and some comes with 2 or 3.

Example on our GT60 2OD video at 11:01:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1aoS-qH_AM

It has Super RAID 2 board with only 2 mSATA SSD installed.

The previous Super RAID board that supports only 2 mSATA SSDs won't work on Haswell models, the connectors won't even fit:

mSATA-2-adapter.JPG

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes since the connector needs to transmit the extra sata lanes so more pins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.