Suggestions for External Blu-Ray Writer

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Harleyquin07, Sep 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Buy external BR reader or dvd drive, swap the drive from your old laptop.

At least I'm pretty sure that would work :)

2. Harleyquin07

Harleyquin07 エミヤ

Reputations:
    Not when the new laptop has no slot to take the drive from my current one.

3. KLF

Reputations:
    Just plug it into a usb port?

4. Harleyquin07

Harleyquin07 エミヤ

Reputations:
    My current Clevo was built at a time when Blu-Ray drives were still standard issue for the top-end machines, so it's not connected to my system via a USB port and there's no way it's going to fit into the new system when it arrives.

That's why I'm asking for suggestions in the first place; new system doesn't have a built-in disc drive while old system's BR/RW drive came with the old system and can't be grafted onto the new.

5. KLF

Reputations:
    You didn't read correctly my first post. Get a cheap external usb dvd/br drive. Remove the drive from the enclosure, replace it with the drive from your laptop. Replace the laptop's drive with the cheap one.

BR drive inside your old laptop has same connectors that are in those slim external drives.
    This example was first hit in amazon with usb3: https://www.amazon.com/External-Connector-DLAND-Macbook-Surface/dp/B01GPKT5PY
    I'm suggesting this because you wrote you installed the original drive in your laptop so you definitely can do this yourself and it's like a 50% cheaper option to do.

smoking2k likes this.
  6. Harleyquin07

Harleyquin07 エミヤ

Reputations:
    That's me being terrible with my description. What really happened was I chose a Blu-Ray RW drive when I bought my current Clevo all those years ago and the vendor did the installation for me.

Not sure if the product you linked is going to work with my current laptop anyway since it's connected by USB and my own drive isn't (unless I'm misunderstanding something on a fundamental level).

There's also the issue of read/write and burn speeds. My current CD-drive being an old and out-of-production model isn't going to be as quick as USB3.0 or thunderbolt-powered external drives.

7. KLF

Reputations:
    If you would take apart one of those external drives, it would have inside a small adapter card that translates mini sata (whatever the correct name was) to usb. The drives inside your old laptop and those externals have same connectors. It would make no sense to manufacture several different types of drives.

But this is just theoretical now :)

8. Harleyquin07

Harleyquin07 エミヤ

Reputations:
    Oh well, I learnt something new today at the very least.

The current laptop will probably be passed on so I can't disassemble the drive and reuse it. Hence the need for an external.

9. micman

micman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    FWIW I owned a Slim Samsung DVD external with usb 2.0 that went in the trash because it died just outside the Amazon return policy window. You do get what you pay for. Highly suggest usb 3 as the 2.0 drives will be shockingly slow. Asus frequently goes on sale if price is an issue.

10. hanamiji007

hanamiji007 Newbie

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.