Successful P650RE Fan Speed Modification via EC

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by sm2596, Jul 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sm2596

sm2596 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Woo! Fan Speed Modulation! (sort of)

I've spent the last few days plodding along to work out modifications for the fan speed on the P650RE

Basically, I've located the read and write locations for the fans in the Embedded Controller, and mapped out some reasonably accurate formulas that show both what inputs you need to reach a target RPM and vice versa.

I've put it all into an excel workbook including an Embedded Controller 'sim' so that you can check the consequences of any changes you want to make before you actually write them to your EC. A few example fan curves are also provided.

If you do decide to write to the EC, I recommend using RWEverything, and please for the love of all that is good BE CAREFUL! While I'm confident there shouldn't be any issues, there's always the possibility that your EC version or laptop model may have the offsets in slightly different places. If you're in doubt, put your own EC values into the simulator first and see if they make sense before starting to make changes. This may work with other Clevo models, but there's no guarantee of success.

The only offset you should be changing is 0xE7. If you write to other random offsets you could damage something, necessitating a CMOS reset.
    (Technically you should be okay to write to any of the values mentioned in the workbook as they'll simply be replaced when the EC updates, but it's a risk for nothing. I've already blindly tested them - they have no effect, so why mess with them?)

Note that macros are required for two calculations to work, but all others should work without.

Here are images of the pages if you don't want to download the workbook.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next step: Find a way to read and write to the EC in .NET/C# and turn this into a program.

Attached Files:

2. Xdrqgol

Xdrqgol Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    wow, congrats! Impressive! Would love to see this work on Clevo P650SE , which I think the fans are the only thing that doesn't run smooth enough. Looking forward to your results.

3. poprostujakub

poprostujakub Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you think if this is possible for P870DM?

4. sm2596

sm2596 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I feel like it may be possible on the SE, could you help me work it out?
    If you have Clevo control centre, I'd like the following screenshots of the EC in RWeverything:

- EC while your computer is idle (with CPU temperature from hwinfo or etc.)
    - EC while your computer is at high load (run a demanding game or use MSI Kombustor and wait for the temperature to rise)
    - EC while you have a custom fan profile set in Clevo control centre

If you don't have Clevo control centre the first two might still be good enough, along with a dump of your EC if you can get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. sm2596

sm2596 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It might work, could you follow the same steps as in my reply above and send me the screenshots? It might be too different though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Xdrqgol

Xdrqgol Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can definitely help! I will PM you to get some extra info on how to ;).

ImHere likes this.
  7. poprostujakub

poprostujakub Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, but I still waiting for working GPU. I will send you screenshots as soon as possible.

8. EmberV

EmberV Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @sm2596 you could use WinRing0 (http://openlibsys.org/) (under its own license which allows redistribution in source and binary forms with or without modifications as long as the copyright notification is provided - note the binaries posted on OpenLibSys has a valid code signing certficate) and "Ring0.cs" from Open Hardware Monitor (https://github.com/openhardwaremonitor/openhardwaremonitor/blob/master/Hardware/Ring0.cs) which is under the Mozilla Public License 2.0 (MPL) to read/write to the EC.

sm2596 likes this.
  9. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Let me just add this information:

Everyone should know that CLEVO allows for resellers to make their own fan curves.
    You just ask for it, tell them you are not happy with the EC and they will send you a Excel sheet for you to insert values for all tables:

Tables:
    Auto Mode CPU Fan Table
    Auto Mode CPU Fan Table
    Auto Mode VGA Fan Table
    Auto Mode VGA Fan Table

Values :
    Temperature(℃) Output Voltage (V) Fan Duty (%)

So, if you have problems or are unhappy with fans profiles, please send an email to your re-seller and explain what is wrong with the EC.
    Re-sellers can probably use this forum to let clients comment on what would be the perfect table for them, and then just ask for the EC, it´s just THAT easy.

EDIT: Not trying to steal the topic, or create of-topic, just want to add this information because maybe other re-sellers do not know about this.

SlurpJug, t456, Xdrqgol and 1 other person like this.
  10. sm2596

sm2596 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That's actually really cool to know, thanks :) So the whole fan curve can technically be changed in EC rather than just the offset above?

While I'd love to get my hands on that information, I presume each reseller has their own reasons for not releasing the data to their users, or is it Clevo's decision?

I might have to chat to Metabox about fixing my default fan curves, especially in Discrete mode where thermal throttling at 79 degrees occurs before the fans are even maxed (which is weird because throttling only occurs at 85 degrees in MSHybrid mode)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.