Successful MXM GPU Upgraded Laptops

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, May 21, 2017.

1. mr007rm

mr007rm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. mr007rm

Reputations:
    That's right. Unfortunately my cooling is bad, I can't use my laptop properly. I need some more time.

3. mr007rm

Reputations:
  4. mr007rm

Reputations:
    It won’t be faster, there would be a lot for the laptop. That's good. However, synthetic tests do not give back actual performance.
    In fact, I think so I have an rtx 2070 performance .... dlss power on etc .... if my cooling is good and nothing takes back.
    Well good rtx 2070 Super Maq-Q.

5. mr007rm

Reputations:
    I have one of these cards for sale. 150W vbios. My machine doesn't know the 150W load. Only 120-130W .... MSI AB (UV)
    Képernyőfelvétel (592).jpg

Another rtx 5000 test with another machine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  6. mr007rm

Reputations:
    80W and 60W (600Mhz) now with me.

Only on the basis of 60W average 40fps. Right for me. And if my cooling is good then turbo 80W at 50-60fps max graphics. The cpu at 80W is low, but there are a lot of fps ..... MSI GT70 is happy for it.:D
    https://www.3dmark.com/spy/7807973 RTX 2070 mobile

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    Semmy likes this.
  7. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    There is a reason why Quoting exists, please do not rob other threads of their visibility by posting 6 times in a row :(

Also, a P5200 can run in line with the RTX 5000. Prema demonstrated that some time ago, although its worth mentioning I believe he put some magic into it as by default runs more like we expect.

8. mr007rm

Reputations:
    You forget that neither the 1070 nor the p5200 has Ray Tracing and DLSS, so they are much slower. Plus, the P5200 consumes a lot.

9. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    It seems you might have some selective reading.... I specifically stated in a previous post that unless there is a feature you specifically want, that it doesnt make much sense. Meaning, if there is a specific feature that then it makes sense, otherwise not so much.

P5200 has 150w and 115w configurations. At 120w I was able to cool my 1070 to 54c at full prolonged loads under standard thermal paste, and if it wasnt for my motherboard EC I would have no issue in cooling 150w. You will recall the conversation I was having with another member (not you) referring to pushing the 1070 to 1070Ti levels which means 175+ watts which is more than the aforementioned P5200.

Again Im not crapping on the card, I am merely stating that its not a good value proposition at this time. This will of course change over time (hopefully).

Also Ray tracing requires additional die space to run specifically those tasks. If you have all the RT performance in the world and no rasterization you are not playing any games to begin with. So to say one is better without mentioning the other attributes is like bragging about your drag car with no gas tank.

For you it makes sense from a functional standpoint as you were able to maintain your performance level while dropping 35w of heat dump which allows you to sustain your CPU core clock without overheating. Its a net positive move and I commend you for seeking it out :) Just keep in mind that not everyone has the same scenario when considering this card.

10. mr007rm

Reputations:
    I read it back and tried to get involved. I'm not a professional at this, I just want to. For me, the main consideration is the graphical advancement of the current machine. And it’s very important how much it costs most people, for me that was a secondary issue now. I want a custom laptop. I want to use my old laptop for everything, even gaming, for as long as I can. The mxm card was both expensive and cheap. It depends on what we look at. It was 800 euros. I’m selling my previous card and I’m coming out cheaper already.
    This card can be used without schooling using the MSI bios as if I had bought my laptop from the factory. Very comfortable. I feel like I was lucky.