Successful MXM GPU Upgraded Laptops

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, May 21, 2017.

1. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They never learn their lessons, but this is another topic.....:)

2. expresstyle

expresstyle Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just it was cheaper put that chip on that pcb, btw that pcb was made for quadro ones that are at ~ 80w
    Gtx 1060 works fine due to lower tdp

3. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Actually the PCB was designed for Quadro P5000, means it could hold up to 115W, but those 1070 dies pulled in certain tasks more than 135-140W, and there is where the VRMs starts showing their weakness , caused by reduced quantity...

4. expresstyle

Reputations:
    How can they pull till 140w if tdp it’s locked at 115/125 in certain vbios?
    For example I have an gtx 1060 with black pcb with 88w tdp and when it reaches above 85 W it goes down

5. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's the big question...
    My current vbios is locked at 125W and after FS test I see in HWinfo max GPU Power - 140W.

6. expresstyle

Reputations:
    Yes but that’s maybe max peak tdp that longs one second after go down, should monitoring it by msi afterburner overlay in screen enabling gpu power. On pascal laptop tdp limit its very restrictive , the only way to get max stable performance it’s to get an high core frequency on low voltage step that doesn’t reach the limit tdp but some games even at 99% gpu stays down and others one at same percentage gpu usage uses more power, reaching the limit. Anyways what I mean it’s locking one frequency

mirage_bg likes this.
  7. SeaBear

SeaBear Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys! I thank you all for your efforts. very helpful guide indeed .
    i have a question and a noob one at that >_<. i have a MSI gt75 8rg with gtx 1080 mxm , could i upgrade that to rtx 2080 super mxm or rtx 2080 mxm ? anyone knows where and how to get a compatible part if so ? and another question do you expect that the 3000 new nvidia series be compatible with any old laptops ?

8. expresstyle

Reputations:
    There is none rtx 2080 in mxm factor. Just clevo ones but they are in weirdo mxm size. Talking about rtx 3xxx still isnt available in any laptop.

9. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Most likely the only RTX 3000 series MXM modules will be the Clevo form factor ones. MSI started soldering GPUs to their DTRs with the RTX 2000 series GPUs. That was an extremely stupid move.

Unfortunately most vendors and manufacturers have turned stupid.

As for upgrading your laptop, I don't think the jump from a 1080 to a 2080 is worth it. However the jump from a 1080 to a 3080 is. We'll have to see what form factors the RTX 3000 series MXM modules come in.

10. poprostujakub

poprostujakub Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't understand where is the problem - GTX980M with its laughable VRM consist of 3x CSD87350 (40 amps power MOSFET blocks) was able to sustain 170W load (until VRM overheated and killed core, but this knowledge comes too late). So I think that it's not a problem with semiconductors, but with cheapest ceramic capacitors and poor cooling. Here's my topic about GTX1070 from MSI - much bigger VRM, same heat problem: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/what-thermopad-for-vrm-overheating-msi-1070-p870dm.830562/

bennyg and mirage_bg like this.