Successful MXM GPU Upgraded Laptops

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, May 21, 2017.

1. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah if you want windows 7 instead of winbug 10, Optimus is the only way to go. Kind of speechless that I dissed iGPU that much and now it's the savior for a lot of old laptops.

Soldered GPU isn't too bad IMO. You can find someone to replace the GPU for ~$30, And the GF107, GK107, GM107 share the same stencil.
    The worst thing about thinkpad is the BIOS. kind of whitelisted and locked to hell. Still using the FX2800m on my W701 and it really sucks harder than USPS.
    The most retarded part is that even on W701, W700, P70 and P71 the BIOS is locked.

But still, HP's driver is a PITA, not to mention the cooling. Dell is kinda better but still you have to think about trackpoint. It's just choosing the lesser of the evils......

2. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    so your saying you can upgrade soldered on GPUs already?

3. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Theoretically it's possible. since all nVIDIA GPUs after maxwell have embedded hardware ID. If there is no hardware whitelist or such we can change vBIOS and repack it and then BGA the GPU chip.

Leokim has done the FX570m to 8600m gt upgrade

cdoublejj likes this.
  4. LordRelentless

LordRelentless Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried upgrading the MSI GT80 Titan SLI?

5. Baboo85

Baboo85 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all.
    I have an old Asus G51JX with a GTS 360M, bought on March 2010, and I want to try to upgrade its gpu.

As far as I know, the MXM slot is a 2.1 version and the TDP is 35-38watt.
    I couldn’t find anyone that have upgrade it, but still I want to try.

First is: which GPU family can I consider? The MXM is an old 2.1.
    Which GPU model? I cannot go over 35watt of power (also due to the heat generated)

6. LordRelentless

LordRelentless Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The max you can pull, potentially is GT/GTX 500 series. You can't exceed the wattage availability and the GTX500 series was the last to be on MXM 2.1 before 3.0 came out. You'll also need to find an edited version for your bios to recognize the new card you install.

7. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think I remember something about Asus cards back then being 'backwards' and unusable in anything except Asus.

But yeah anything that draws more will have a temp issue, I had a G51J and that thing was a genuine fireball, 95+C temps out of the box. That's what you get when there is no fan intake cutout in the bottom case......

8. bitsnpcs

bitsnpcs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    P770DM-G Succes with European GTX 1070 8GB supplied by WOODZSTOCK thx man

I will upload the full details as soon as I have fully stress tested with gaming etc.

FYI the card in question is the EURO 1070 1BA1.7702.1558

The main advantage to this card over every other is that it is square, meaning it does not have the nobble shape sticking out that is in the way of the capacitor (see other successful upgrade for this model) so actually only the heatsink needs modification, I have done this myself and very rudamentally with long nose pliers reshaped the heatsink.

The other things we needed to do was to modify the latest drivers obviously and then install was a tad difficult as the driver install failed a few times, i narrowed this down to a few things so we turned of DSE and also changed the settings for group policy to allow the device to install (might have been my set up) which is located at gpedit.msc

Full thread for this with pictures to follow

sicily428 likes this.
  9. otto_kahn

otto_kahn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    it has been a very useful topic.
    Thank you.

10. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    Thanks for these usefull infos. :)
    Please share the link for the dedicated thread