[SUCCESSFUL] Alienware 18 + MSI GTX 1070 MXM

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by DaMafiaGamer, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Get someone to buy it for a good price (not hard with the 4940MX) and buy a RTX 2070 laptop, a lot less hassle for more performance than you'll ever get out of this machine.

If you decide to continue down this path, keep in mind you will have to buy the MXM standard 1070s, or modify the HS and other elements for the MSI.
    This thread isn't really abandoned, just no one left to carry it on lol

2. Chivalrous Roamin Knight

Chivalrous Roamin Knight Newbie

Reputations:
    Oooooook. Reading of these various threads and your comments, it's obvious you are not very fond of the AW18's; I love mine, it performs really well and is a real pleasure typing with it. I have seen a few comments that favor the M18x R2 over the AW18. I would like to know anyone's opinion on this. Also, if you feel this same way, could you give your opinion of this too?
    So, where could I get the MXM Standard 1070 or how would I even look for it? And, ofc, for a decent price. Could someone lead me to a step by step "everything works" instruction install of this MXM Standard 1070 upgrade. Maybe even this upgrade is identical to the M18x R2's install; I'm hopeful that can be elaborated on. Last thing: Should I ask of this upgrade on a different thread and if so, which one?
    I really would like as many too weigh in on this as possible; I think that would be essential.Thanks again!

3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    He had poor experiences with laptops from what I can tell and now recommends everyone against such scenarios as a result.

4. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No, its just why spend more money on something that performs worse and lacks features compared to newer devices? I get it as a pet project, but value wise it just doesn't make sense and there isn't an argument to make.

I prefer the M18X R2 just because I like the aesthetic and it having 2 more SATA ports than the AW18. Others note that it generally runs cooler and has a better VRM as well as motherboard design, leading to less blowouts and dead motherboards.

You can buy the 1070 from Taobao or eBay.

5. TheReciever

Reputations:
    There is always an argument to make.

Buying into a platform to then upgrade isnt the wisest of scenarios but for many they are desiring to upgrade what they already have and can sell their GPU to cut the invest in near half in many cases. Shelling out 350-450 versus 1k+, more if you want to maintain tiers in the product stack. Going from top of the product stack to some crappy plastic shell is the cost of that recommendation.

Though it all depends on the starting point for each user, as each case tends to be unique

M18x R2 has better VRM's and can handle more power but can only use 1x 1070 anyways.

AW18 has lackluster VRMs and have a tendency to kill itself when trying to push the limit, the motherboard in general is just a bad design.

6. MagicMike

MagicMike Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Much to my surprise a user seems to have been able to use two 1060 in a AW18 in SLI, which begs a question if two 1070's could be used, also in a M18XR2 (if only one of the ports on the motherboard wasn't there lol, where the slave GPU is)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...k-thread-part-3.730723/page-227#post-10989315

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  7. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can also try the Marketplace on this forum. That is where I found my 1070 and it was significantly less than the eBay sellers.

8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    He also noted that it was basically unusable due to SG mode. Likely the CPU not really knowing how to govern 2 GPU's at the same time. There is a reason that all SLI machines never had optimus (or at least to my knowledge)

9. MagicMike

MagicMike Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes but...I didn't think it was even possible to get the machine to boot up with two GPUs in SG mode... let alone get nvidia panel to show them in active SLI mode.
    When I finally move house (next couple of months hopefully) and have my man cave that my beloved wife doesnt venture into, I will definitely concoct a plan to sneak in a few components to mod my M18XR2 further;)

10. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Hey always love a good mod!