[SUCCESSFUL] Alienware 18 + MSI GTX 1070 MXM

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by DaMafiaGamer, Jun 18, 2018.

1. ErikO

ErikO Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, I bit on this...

Downloaded, extracted, from the choice of run uA14 or gtx_10xx, I ran the uA14 batch file.

Reported as successful, as far as I could see from the quick-scrolling-text output.

Rebooted, noted A14 was displayed, checked RAID enabled, set Service Tag.

Since I have a GPU in the graphics slot, followed instructions, and set 'Primay Display to PEG' (which I think is wrong), saved, rebooted....

8 beeps for LCD failure.

Tried external HDMI monitor, no joy / nothing, still 8 beeps.

Tried to reset bios to set 'SG' mode back - which I think it was on. (back off, ram out, bios and main batteries out, connect PSU, wait for beeps, slam in the ram), but was unsuccessful.

4 beeps for RAM failure. (usually my Hyper-X does this - so bios resets are usualy done with a generic 4GB module I have lying around, but I've no other RAM in here Asia to play with).

So anyone wth any ideas?

Am I actually getting bios reset, by being able to go from 8 beeps to 4 beeps? I think not. This, the archillies heel of the AW18, this bloody bios reset - is there still no other way in 2019?

Regards.

2. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    You still have to swap in ram. CMOS battery and main battery do not have to come out. Personally I used to disconnect the main battery, removed the RAM, connect AC, power on, let it two beep itself to death and very quickly between power cycles, put a stick of RAM in to force clearing of the NVRAM.

It sucks, there is no way around NVRAM since Dell was stupid enough not to include a key combination to clear the NVRAM, unlike Apple, who knows this is important.

Papusan likes this.
  3. ErikO

Reputations:
    Looks like I'm off to buy some more RAM then...

4. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Doesn’t have to be expensive, a cheap 2GB DDR3L stick will work

5. ErikO

Reputations:
    4GB RAM 1600MHz Kingston was 1000THB here... and still not reset.

Going to return it for a 2GB second hand module I saw, and try again.

6. ErikO

Reputations:
    2GB module was gone... got unknown 4GB 1333MHz module for even more cost, but was able to return the Kingston. Small store selling this module refuses any returns. Oh well.

And yet it still doesn't work.

8 beeps, slam in the ram, re-powers, now 5 beeps (RTC), so reconnected bios battery, and just waiting whilst it continues beeping 5 beeps.

I think I remember someone saying if you just sit it out for 5 mins, it restarts and is thus cleared?

Fans are on too...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  7. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Correct, 5 beeps means NVRAM fault and then it will clear upon restart.

8. ErikO

Reputations:
    Hi, I never did get a full bios reset, the time - sure, but PEG was still enabled.

My solution was to pull the 1070M from the board, boot on Integrated GPU, and then change bios to SG mode once more.

I'm now successfully booted on A14 Unlocked, as I type.

I tried the gtx_10xx_A14_Flash batch file, assuming this is to flash the GPU? But it describes as an Intel Flash tool, and fails to complete, with Windows 7 complaining about it being a 16 bit application. So I don't know what is going on with that...

Thanks for being the only voice of help anyway. Its late, and I deploy for work very soon, so with no time to lose, it was 'last try', before getting a new board FedEx'ed to myself before bed, so I didn't lose a day.

Any advice with the gtx flash would be greatly appreciated.

Night all.

9. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I cannot be of more help because my Alienware 18 is in a coffin. I did not author or test the A14 unlocked BIOS, I can only comment about the A12 unlocked BIOS I posted here some time ago. There is nothing to be gained by going to A14 except for Spectre/meltdown security patches which severely nerf CPU performance.

Papusan likes this.
  10. ErikO

Reputations:
    Hi, I thought I'd jump at the chance of using the Nvidia installer in the normal way, but it has been a pain in a back part of my body.

I realized today that I handn't 'slept' the computer again to run the gtx_10xx_A14_Flash batch file, did that, script appeared to complete. Rebooted, bios boot order needed resetting. Booted, and 1070M not seen. Back to bios, and IGFX set as default. Changed to SG, 1070M seen again. Checked GPU with GPU-z - ID has now changed.

Downloaded latest Nvidia drivers - nope. Same error as before, which will require me to generate the modded driver again - the whole point of engaging in this exercise in the first place.

Sorry I bothered now.

Attached Files: