[SUCCESSFUL] Alienware 18 + MSI GTX 1070 MXM

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by DaMafiaGamer, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    How do you know the design was not a limited time exclusive or licensed? Seems a bit premature to throw around the word "stolen" before the people involved confirm.

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  3. ErikO

ErikO Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello all,

Nice work on getting that running. I'm in an upgrade / tinkering mood myself.

I've just ordered a 1070 for my AW18....however I will not have the fitment issue as mine appears to be standard mxm 3.0b, and not with extra power connectors or the extended notch. So I won't be ordering the AMD heatsink unless it looks like it needs it.

Will update when it eventually arrives.

Many Q's....

So I'll soon be dumping my 880M GTXs which are about 18 months old from Dell, if anybody should need them.

In addition, since I will soon have a free MXM slot available, my ideas are;

1) Keep a single 880M GTX for Phys X / compute... or
    2) (my preferred option) Since I'll have 8x PCIe lanes free, I'm considering putting together a board to do a dual NVME to PCIe x4, giving them four lanes each. I've already made inquiries for a custom MXM board, I can't imagine the signalling is much different, if at all, to PCIe, but I guess all problems can be solved.

The next idea is to somehow physically link the 3 heatsinks. Other than that cool A. F. watercooling prototype some years ago, has anyone managed to do this?

I'm thinking of forming thin & wide copper strips (insulated), drilling two holes in each heatsink, using paste and a block to secure it flat against the heatsink, and then carry onto the next heatsink in the same manner, and so on. I'm thinking that since no GPU2 will exist, the GPU2 fan will never turn, so maybe I could tag onto the CPU fan pins? Or, use a program to see that it always runs either statically, or based on CPU temperature events?

And finally, does anyone think this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/4K-18-4-UHD...055729?hash=item25fa0eacf1:g:4y0AAOSwJiJbK39Y will work?

Thanks and regards,

Erik.

4. ColaMonster

ColaMonster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In sg mode I'm unsure if you can do phsyx , I didn't have a card to test that myself.

And mxm runs at x16 regularly, and people tried making mxm to x16 adapter, but that project seemed to have died :(

And for the 4k screen you might be able to tag onto the miniDP connector, because the aw18 uses lvds i believe

5. ErikO

Reputations:
    Hi there, and thanks for your response.

I was of the understanding that the x16 lanes are split between the two MXM connectors, 8x lanes each, regardless of whether SLI is disabled or not. I believe I saw this using a small program whos name I've forgotten.

6. ColaMonster

ColaMonster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe the person working on the adapter had it working at 1x speeds, then kinda dropped off the map. I personally do think the adapter is possible, I don't know why it keeps dropping off the map when people work on it

7. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Its not practical. You will have similar limitations of whether or not the sBIOS will allow for functionality of the GPU.

Its probably why testing stopped, it wasnt practical.

8. ErikO

Reputations:
    Hi - single GPU installed - and its still at PCIe x8, not x16 lanes.

9. ErikO

Reputations:
    All,

Another AW18 with 1070M installed successfully.

Some photos for you:

Post SG enable.JPG

Post SG 1070M install.JPG

fucking finally.JPG
    What a pain in the @rse the driver mod was.

Here is Win 7 x64 AW18 & 1070M modded for you with 416.94: unzip, and put in place of existing nvdmi.inf file. Thank me later.

First benchmark with no tweaking:

3dmark Fire-Strike-1070M.JPG
    Previous score with 880M (x2) was 8145.

GPU-Z shows bios ver 86.04.31.00.0C. Has anyone got a newer version for me?

Last word - have the 3x3 Wireless AC module installed also, connection speed is now 1.3Gb/s.

Now to investigate the 4k screen mod...

Attached Files:

10. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Which 1070 are you using?