[SUCCESS] P377SM-A 4K Display Upgrade

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DARCODER, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Agreed. Earlier cards just won't push good framerates in 4K so it's not worth it.

2. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

Final update for me probably. I GOT IT WORKING!!!!

Turns out the issue was totally with the differential pair that I cut by accident. I shortened the longer wire by 5mm so the two wires in the pair were as close to the same length as I could manage, and it fixed the issue! I also have it running off of 3.3v using a buck converter that I installed in the mSata slot in the base.

Some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I haven't done any gaming yet, but I've watched some native 4k videos through VLC and on youtube and everything seems to be working perfectly. So far I don't have any of the issues DARCODER reported, but it might be too early to tell for me. I'll keep you guys updated.

@DARCODER I'm having some trouble fixing the brightness adjustment issue. I followed your instructions and searched for NVIDIA, but there are tons of results. Where exactly do I create that key?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  3. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice Job :D
    can you show me wich convertor you are using? i want liitle one because mine now is between gpu2 fan and cpu fan...i think it will burn one day :)

So this are all my trouble:
    -ghost if you keep a bright color background for more than 3min, if 5min deeper and so on.
    -some time screen turn black: i notice its because my driver touch ground.
    -some time i got in blue color invisible flicker but not really flicker...i cannot explain what is it... but resolve while i move the driver.
    So my last 2 problems will be off when i will take the time to fix perfectly all cable and pins. i wait to find the most little converter 3.3v.

it should be there:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000]
    BUT maybe your nvidia installation isnt in "4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}" so when you reach class, click ctrl+f and search word: Nvidia. when it will find a result, thats the folder in a "0000" folder.
    Once you or it found the result. Add key Dword(32), write: EnableBrightnessControl. then add 1 as result. Restart and your good. with control center or windows, you can change brightness.
    TAKE CARE of this: They accept 0% as brightness you might be in trouble if you move the mouse/pad while beeing at 0% ;)

bennyg and i_pk_pjers_i like this.
  4. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks man! That worked for the brightness adjust.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-Re-DC-...448900?hash=item33afb8b144:g:d5YAAOSwX~dWktJo

^ That's the buck converter I'm using. About at cheap as you can get and it whines a little bit, but the current output is high enough and it's small - about 1" x 2" x 0.75". I'd honestly be surprised if it lasts a long time, but we'll see - so far it's been going for about 6-8 hours a day for 3 days now with no issues. Gets a bit warm, but well within spec.

What's almost as good as the resolution on this screen is the 8 bit color instead of the horrible 6 bit color on the 1080p screen. Also seems like the contrast ratio is much better too.

bennyg and DARCODER like this.
  5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Nicely done!

6. paulofeg

paulofeg Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Could someone please post a video or steps on how to modify the p377sm-a ? I understand its a lot of work to make a video but if you have time and are willing to do it, it would be appreciated.

7. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Well i have the same as you but a red board :) its warm but not so much. its been 7 months of use now ;)

8. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    it will be hard to post a video because it required lot of work as you know and these days, i dont have much time to do it...
    it need to show how to mod the barebone screen, how to create the cable, where to place the convertor. All these steps take lot of time.
    Maybe one day i will do a tutorial about the cable if i want to create a better one. Mine is oversize due of reconverting/reajusting it everytime :)

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's not for the faint of heart certainly.

10. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some update,
    I stop using a driver since a month, because 1 driver start to feel "ill", not maintaining stable voltage. Then another river, this time a little one as a coin who just died in a week.
    For now i m not using any driver and flickering disappear and also Ghost dead screen as well. So i am totally happy. I also connected sometimes my 120Hz 1080p screen but i cannot support this "low" resolution anymore :))
    So if my screen will die, i will jump to the 3k 120Hz= AUO B173QTN01.0

My Final modded P377sma:
    14600590_10154642271084874_1987620799_o.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016