[SUCCESS] P377SM-A 4K Display Upgrade

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DARCODER, Jan 7, 2016.

1. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Which panel are you using?

2. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm using the B173ZAN01.0 panel. Specifically the one below. I'll have another look at the cable, but I've gone over it like 20 times and am really certain the wiring is right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-3-Panaso...378404?hash=item3aa0c52764:g:f2oAAOSwYmZXM~KE

My cable only had two wires for PLVDD, not four. Shouldn't really matter for short term testing though.

I'm certain the twisted pairs are in the right orientation. When I reverse a pair, the screen doesn't even turn on. I'll check the other wires later tonight.

Maybe one of the wires is broken or something, I'll check continuity too. I can't help wondering though if I somehow damaged the panel by using the frankenstien LVDS cable I made.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  3. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    That looks like a compatible ones. The original one is made by AUO. You sure that wont be an issue? Sometimes the specs are slightly off for different manufacturers.

4. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i also have only 2 vcc from cable, but i split them i dont know how since vcc from mb in edp request 3 pins.

5. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    Is your panel from AUO or a different one?

6. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So I checked continuity on the cable. Everything is fine. I also double checked the wiring again and now I'm 100% certain it's not the cable. I'm getting more and more convinced the screen might be dead.

When checking for continuity, I made an interesting discovery. All of the ground pins (2,5,8,11,14,17,23,24,25,26,28,29,30, and 31) on the LCD side connector are all connected together eventhough there are no wires physically running to them.

Additionally, Pins 36,37,38,39 are all tied together and pins 18,19,20,21 are all tied together eventhough there are only 2 physical wires per set running to those pins.

I haven't tested the LVDS connector, but I suspect it is the same story, just with a different pin-out. This means eventhough I wired the LVDS connector correctly, I might have shorted some pins on the LCD to pwr or gnd that shouldn't have been and fried the screen. I'm almost certain that's the issue I'm having.

I'm just hoping nothing got fried on the motherboard side. I'm gonna probe each pin on the mb with a multimeter and oscilloscope to try and make sure everything is OK there.

7. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So the motherboard was definitely fried. With my old LVDS 1080p screen connected, it exhibited the same issues as the 4k screen. Screen turns on, goes black, and stays black, but gets recognized in window's device manager.

Unfortunately, after pinning out some components, it did not exactly match the schematics, so it was hard to troubleshoot. I ended up purchasing a new motherboard. The new motherboard fixed the issue with the LVDS 1080p screen, however the 4k screen still exhibited the same problems.

So now we're kind of back to square 1. It's either something wrong with the cable or the screen. I can't afford to throw much more money at this issue so I'm probably going to buy a new cable and repin it again as a last resort. It's possible that the spliced differential pair is the source of the issue. If that doesn't fix it, I'm unfortunately going to give up on this.

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's such a fine pitch, messing around with the cable when I did cost me a motherboard :/

9. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the easier method working is external driver. i place it between fan2 and cpu fan.
    Now im waiting to buy my secong gpu and I also mod the fixation of the screen in a better way: i fix the frame of my lvds screen and instal inside the 4k screen.

10. paulofeg

paulofeg Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This really sounds amazing and I really want to try this on my p377sm-a however the news that the 1080m's probably won't work in the p377sm-a is a bit disappointing and basically limits the advantage adding a 4k screen to the laptop could bring.