[SUCCESS] P377SM-A 4K Display Upgrade

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DARCODER, Jan 7, 2016.

1. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry for the double post.

It looks to me from the schematics, that PLVDD can be either 3.3V or 5V and is generated by the same circuit. You can switch the voltage on PLVDD from 3.3 to 5V by floating or grounding PLVDD_SEL (pin 25) on the EPD connector on the motherboard.

According to the 4k screen's data sheet, the screen only draws 2.3 watts at 3.3v, while the backlight draws 10 watts and is powered by a different rail.

The 2amps delivered by PLVDD when working in EDP mode should be plenty.

I think grounding pin 25 on the EDP connector will solve the 5v power problem.

I just bought a w230ss video cable, and probably will be ordering a screen next week. I'll keep you guys posted.

i_pk_pjers_i and t456 like this.
  2. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, i simply disconnect all pin then put them back in a good way to respect motherboad Pin. its same cable :)
    i used a driver for ground and vdd to output 3.3V.

An easy solution is to take ground and vdd from lvds so it output 3.3v. Since i destroy my lvds cable, i couldnt succeed to have back 3.3v. i tried from mb data to rearrange on lvds port... always got 5v. I m sure you right, lvds or edp port has a pin to plug or not to out put 3.3 or 5v.

Also i understand why we cant overclock display...on datasheet from i7 cpu i read last time it support 4k but only at 60Hz hopelessly.

Till now, screen is always good, i manage to avoid ghost with 1mn screen shutdown if not used. Never had again a flickering or black flashing after tape arround display to avoid contact with ground.

Still waiting sli 980m to test or hopefully a 1080m compatible with our laptop..

i_pk_pjers_i and aarpcard like this.
  3. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cool stuff. What gpu setup do you currently have? How's performance in games?

I've read elsewhere of people having issues with 4K refresh rates where upon further investigation the issue seemed to be cpu bound. Kinda strange. I always assumed it was due to the fact that 4k displays don't have much OC headroom due to the higher frequency signals they use.

Can you elaborate a bit on the ghosting issue? What's going on exactly?

4. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i have 1 980m. i tried with gta5 and farcry. good immersion but need sli :) and i miss a bit 120Hz honestly. its hard to come back to 60hz...but at least with Vsync is allright.
    here gta5 gameplay in 4k

Yep, i feel some 'bug' ( video stop for a moment, like less than half a second )only with some 4k 60fps clip on youtube. But never had this issue on gaming. i could lowered ( in numbers not in timing) these bugs with overclocking. but i always failed my overclock (bsod instable). If we reach 4ghz constant, will not happen.

Ghost issue apparently is common with ips screen. lets say mine was bad quality.. paid 75$ on taobao. So if i let my desktop for more than 5mn or if i study in a pdf, i can notice the text or my desktop screen in a dark grey color. This situation has no limit, higher brightness and longer= deeper will be the ghost in dark grey. Even if you shutdown the laptop for 5 days, once you start it and look into a dark grey color, you will notice the ghost. BUT hopfully if i play or if i watch a youtube clip, for 3mn, it disappear. Another ghost image will appear if i keep again another 'freezing time' more than 5mn...i will never know if this is because i used once 5v for weeks or becasue screen quality was not the best.

EDIT: important to mention is that since this display is installed, i lost 16% of my battery life :)) i was at 2-3% before 4k mod.... i was able to keep 2h, now i can dream about, max 1h30.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    aarpcard likes this.
  5. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just got my panel - everything looks good. However rjtech sent me the w230st cable instead of the w230ss cable. So 30 pins instead of 40. I think I might be able to use the 40 pin lvds cable currently attached to my stock panel and splice it to the motherboard end of the w230st cable.

Gonna take things apart and see what's what. I'll try to keep things fairly documented and keep you guys posted.

6. Brent R.

Brent R. Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    would be awesome if someone made a video on how to do this......I have a P377sm-a with 980m SLI I would LOVE to try out 4K on this, right now 1080P with 980m SLI is over skill at least for me....thanks guyys

7. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Quick update. While the LVDS connector on the LCD side is the correct connector type, there are many NC pins that the EDP doesn't have. This means I'll need to run some extra cables and solder them to the pads on the panel itself. If all goes well, I might have it fired up by tomorrow.

And actually, I took another closer look at the schematic. In order for PLVDD to be set to 3.3V, PLVDD_SEL (pin 25 on the mb connector) needs to be high - not grounded like I previously said - (system 15v should be fine).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  8. clevo-extreme

clevo-extreme Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you need spare parts just let us know

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

aarpcard likes this.
  9. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So there's a minor snag.

First of all I can confirm, pulling pin 25 high definitely sets PLVDD to 3.3v.

I have everything pinned out and connected. Issue is that the 4k panel won't turn on. My guess this is most likely due to either the 4 extra wires I had to solder onto the back of the edp socket on the panel not having a good connection (those pads are super fine pitch), or the fact that my displayport lanes are no longer twisted pairs.

So if you're going to do this mod, make sure you use a 40 pin connector already wired for edp. A 40pin connector wired for LVDS will need significant rework, and from this experience isn't worth it.

@clevo-extreme

I actually just bought another w230ss edp cable from a uk vendor (not gonna bother with rjtech again on this one) like 5 minutes before I checked this thread lol. If I end up needing something else though, I'll reach out.

clevo-extreme likes this.
  10. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    The PLVDD switch is excellent news, saving the trickiest part of the mod :vbsmile: .

Just to be sure;
    And remember that since we just need the cable's lcd-side (which is fairly generic, unlike the mb end), so any 40-pin, 4-lane eDP cable is good. If the SS/SD's are hard to find then look for other 3k/4k laptops and check their display's connector specifications matches that of the B173ZAN01.0's. Or reverse the lookup; search cheap, used display cables and check which specific lcd it was meant for by looking up the laptop model on nbc.